Monday, January 08, 2007

Painting a thousand words

It is said that a picture paints a thousand words, and when I first saw this at a friend's backyard, I couldn't help, but let my mind wander in so many different directions.

It reminds me of early school days, when we were being taught "composition", guided by certain key words, to write a story of along certain lines. Yet, wouldn't it be simpler, to not restrict the minds of young ones, and let the imagination roam free by showing a picture and let a story unfurl from the deepest depths of the heart?

Towards the end of last year, had some "mind itchiness", and I submitted a story entitled "A tale of one, and of another" in a 1,500 to 2,000 words' writing competition along the lines of "a truly amazingly inspiring story" for our company's internal newsletter. Not sure how it would fare, but here's hoping for the best. After all, what better way to entice people to write than by offering a cash prize? :P

What does this picture say to you? :)

4 comments:

laymank said...

hmm... it reminded me of the younger days, when my house was frequently visited by flash floods.

Thank God we are flood free now.

eddY said...

yellow + red = selangor ar? ehehe...

btw, how did the competition go? can i get a copy to read ar? hope you'll do well in it :D

Anonymous said...

A blend of old and new. Old = kah kiak and new - the steel on the sewage cap. I dunno, but I always have pessimistic thoughts. It looked like someone trying to be funny and committed suicide by hanging and placed two pairs of kah kiak to ask another to join him/her? Tragic.

Alex said...

Hi laymank, flooding before? Must have been a really horrendous experience. Hmm, thank goodness no more now eh!

Hi eddy, can. Will send to you sometime. Results not out yet. Like usual, have to wait... and wait... and wait... I wrote on a variation of one of my previous blog post. :)

Hi gina, it's called a kah kiah ah! I didn't know oh! See? A picture can really paint a thousand words! WAH! Your imagination so "the tragic" one ah! Why ah! Unfortunately (or fortunately? :P), I didn't study psychology, otherwise would get into your psyche!