Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hectic Week – Part 3: Il Divo

What can I say? A one night show, with sky high ticket prices, yet the hall was simply packed, with many more wanting to catch the act live on stage. Nope I didn't have to pay for my ticket. My one ticket was complimentary, and even that, it was not complimentary to me, but to my boss who was kind enough to pass me the ticket. And for that price, I was already like at the back of the hall.

And did I enjoy it? Yes, I must admit, I did. I liked their voices, although for a life act, and given the cultural differences in speech and actions, there were obvious places where things didn’t “flow” as smoothly. It’s interesting to compare the three different tenors, and baritone in terms of singing technique and showmanship. Some were obviously stronger in this or that aspect than others. Here’s just some quick observations, purely subjective of course:

1. Sebastian - I prefer his voice on the CDs. He actually has a wonderful and superb voice, but could be due to the mics. Showmanship, well, with Carlos, he’s good... grooving along, etc.
2. Carlos – dynamite voice, probably because he has power in personality and is a strong baritone. And of course, he’s Spanish.
3. David – wow! Those high notes just keep getting higher and higher, yet can be distinctively heard and still sound melodious. Wonderful voice. Yet, there is something "missing" from his voice. Possibly my own ignorance though. No way am I anyway near his category of singing. Simply miles, no, make that planets apart!
4. Urs – I personally liked his voice the best. But I felt he was kind of “detached” from the act.

But still, vocally, they were all very good, with so much emotion in their singing. I guess the difference in their voices and their different personality, which is what make their appeal – and of course, song choice. How I wish I could sing like them one day. And yes, I picked up something from listening to them, about "sitting on the support" to drive the notes. They made it seem so easy.

Staging, well, for a world class act, I think it could have been better. After going through “lessons” for our own show, it does open the eyes to these details in terms of positioning, etc. Hey, but what do I know… it’s very subjective. One note though, the orchestra and band were good. So much feeling and dynamics in the interpretation of the music.

And incidentally, for some who are more inclined, you get to “rub shoulders” with the rich and famous, even royalty.

And relating to events happening this week. Yes, I was grateful for the opportunity to enjoy the show.

2 comments:

eddY said...

hey thks for the info. Although, dun get to go, but reading here keeps me updated! i like their songs 2 but not a big fan...;)

laymank said...

Whoa.. cool la!!

live Il Divo performance!!

jeles betul. again, even if i can afford, i don't think i will pay that kind of money for a show. hard earn leh!!

so, let's just see if miracle can happen or not, or maybe one day you'll turn out a world class singer yourself? :)

by then, pls remember to save me a free ticket, ok??