Friday, January 19, 2007

Hectic Week – Part 4: Car-less

When my car was still in the workshop, and being car-less for a few days, it certainly opened my eyes to how reliant I was, and still am, on my mobility for convenience. During the period, I experienced:

1. the gratefulness for friends and colleagues, and family members who offered, and actually did, to transport me somewhere.

2. the gratefulness for my younger sister to help with my car issue and temporary loan of her car for the weekend.

3. a fresh viewing of the city by taking the monorail. Yep! Finally tried the monorail during one of the weekdays as I had a morning function in the city centre.

4. jam-packed putra line and monorail from certain stations heading to, and out of the city centre.

5. that although for all the talks of inter transportation connectivity, I had to walk out of KL Sentral main station and cross the main brickfields’ road to get to the monorail station. Thank goodness I didn’t have any heavy luggage with me.

6. helpful and informative monorail guard at the monorail KL Sentral station as I wasn’t sure which was the nearest station to alight for my desired destination. He also specifically told me which exit to take when I reach the station.

7. that a RapidKL bus charges differently from a metro bus to the same destination. At least the RapidKL bus driver was kind enough to reopen the bus door for me to take another bus instead.

8. how generally unfit I was by using my own two-legged mobility.

9. the gratefulness for a handphone to communicate for onward transportation. It boggles the mind how we lived through the era of no handphones and missing appointments or meet ups and being unable to inform.

10. the gratefulness that it didn’t rain when I was car-less, and had to rely on public transportation, and my own two-legged mobility. It finally rained on the evening after collecting my car. I would like to think that someone up there is smiling on me.

And of course, the gratefulness of having a car, and for mobility.

2 comments:

laymank said...

i agree.

we have grown to rely on way too many times in life. handphone is one of it.

Anonymous said...

Was without a car for 2 weeks after an accident, more than a year ago. I know how it felt. It's pretty bad.