Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hectic Week – Part 1: Did you know?

What a week it has been. A few “first”s for me this week in terms of happenings, and some very poignant things I saw. I don’t know where to start, but will just plop down whatever as I recall them.

Did you know?

1. No matter how careful you drive, someone will still bang your car. I hesitate to resort to name callings as I have been in that position myself.

2. Accident reporting is divided by jurisdiction. If happened in Selangor, have to report in Selangor. If happened in Kuala Lumpur, have to report in Kuala Lumpur. And all this while, I had assumed their IT systems were linked. Perhaps it is something else which I am ignorant about.

3. They let you key your data into their system personally. Doesn’t matter if the whole thing is in Malay, and one’s Malay may be “a bit” rusty, and heaven forbid if you are PC illiterate. And if you are “unlucky”, and when you ask for the translation or meaning of this word or what to fill in here or there, the personnel attending you will give you the evil eye. And even worse, if you are really unlucky, the personnel will be more preoccupied sweet talking on the handphone as opposed to explaining things. However, if you have been blessed with things falling at your feet, the personnel will kindly explain what and when you asked with a pleasant smile.

4. They have a standard report template in Malay and English for you to follow. Woe to you if you do not know English or Malay. Doesn’t matter if your story may be different, as they will tell you to “ikut ini”. So, some initiative with grey matters will have to be employed to change the story a little bit for personal customisation. However, thinking back, their template covered the pertinent points. So, there is some value there at least.

5. After keying into the PC, a print out slip will be given to you. And the personnel will circle a destination (what floor, what room) for you to go. Never mind if it is in a different building and they don’t tell you so, or why you even need to go there. After all, wasn’t a report just made? Apparently no. Need to give a “statement”.

6. When you come to a door which says “Tunggu DiLuar”, you should go straight in. Don’t be a plonker and wait for someone to come a calling.

7. Need to make report within 24 hours. Otherwise, may be fined. And they have a knack of shoving the legal “Act” at your face for not knowing or ignoring this fact, and read you the “riot act” out loud. Never mind if you are a victim in the traffic accident. Incidentally, I was aware of this fact, but situations changed which required me to make a report.

8. They charge (here I am using a politer word) RM1 for taking a photocopy of your ID and license.

9. Need to bring your damaged car for them to take pictures and verify your report for potential insurance claim. You will be read another “riot act” asking what’s the purpose for making report if you don’t even bring your car for them to see. Never mind if your car is already in the workshop and the workshop personnel won’t allow you to take pictures or take the car as they have already started working on it. Best case is, if the workshop is used to such incidences and has taken the precaution of taking pictures “before” and “after” even for their own records. Incidentally, being charged RM2 for each of the 9 coloured pictures printed out on normal A4 paper is not exorbitant. At least it helps ignorant folks speed up reporting requirements and for potential processing of insurance claims.

10. They can be sympathetic and pleasant if certain requirements are met.

11. Took me about 2 hours altogether.

12. Have to return to pick up report after a few days – at this floor, this door. At least he was kind enough to inform that it was in the same building.

13. They charge RM4 for the report. It took less than 5 minutes to get the report.


All in all, it was certainly a learning experience. So for those ignorant ones out there, be aware of what you need to do if and when the situation arises.

Sure, I was “a bit” miffed that I had to go through all these, but I prefer to see it as a blessing instead. As a result of this incident, I got to see other things which I would not have been aware of, or think about, for me to feel and be grateful. Will blog about these other things subsequently.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheer up. My experiences is more than U. Having the whole car gone. Never thought this would happened to me. But things does happen unexpected. Guess this 2 weeks is not to yr favour. Hope bad things will past soon.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am lucky that I got into an accident near my house and I had the whole load of people helping me. first thing first, you have to get to know the tow truck boss.Then, he will help you to settle everything.