Friday, September 22, 2006

What's in a name

Was told a joke last night. I didn't get it at first (since my knowledge of Chinese is not that good) but after some explanation, it became clear.

How do you pronounce "Sun Moulin"? It's a bakery which does great food located in Isetan. A friend ta-paued some to share share last night. Tried some, and yes... very nice.

Innocent though the name may appear, those who are more inclined to twist words around (read it in Cantonese) will get TWO different connotations which may be inferred. Oh well, must improve my cantonese... Next time you see a name, don't be surprised if it has another meaning (or two) in another language! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of my Sarawakian friend who said, her "taufoo" is even more smelly. It is so damn hilarious!!!

Alex said...

Hey gina, Actually, I have heard the "taufoo" thingy before, but wasn't sure how it is related via which dialect. If I am not mistaken, it refers to a particular part of a female's anatomy? :P

Gina said...

Yes, Alex. Pandai pun!

So you can imagine how hard we laughed when we were talking about "Chow Tau Foo" in SS2. Then, this girl from Kuching said, "My tau foo is even more, MORE smelly!!" She meant, the chow tau foo in Kuching. But both my friends and I almost gagged in our own laughter. :)