Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Roadshow - Part 2

What about roadshow part 2? The food of course!!

My first stop was Seremban, but alas, didn’t get to try the beef noodles there, as I was rushing to get back to KL. Have heard all the rave about it, and supposedly very good. Perhaps next time.

Finally tried the Chicken Rice ball thingy in Melaka. Went to this supposedly famous shop across the river from the red church. I think the shop has been there for quite a long time already and has garnered a good reputation onto itself for the chicken rice. The previous time I came with friends for a holiday to Melaka, we wanted to try it (at this same shop I think), but there was a long queue so we had something else instead. This time, finally managed to try it after my event in Melaka.

Personally, I thought that it was so so only. The novelty is that the chicken rice itself is molded to a round shape, about the size of a ping pong ball. Taste wise, nothing particularly great to shout about, but for those looking for something “different”, I guess this would be it. The chicken? Steamed and served with cucumbers as well as some garnishes. But finally, after all that hype and expectation, I can say that I have tried one of the more recognized dishes in Melaka. There was a suggestion for some Nyonya food, but maybe next time.

Next stop was Johor Bahru. The Zon was fully booked, so stayed at the New York Hotel. Rooms I thought were better than The Zon’s but in terms of convenience (like a shopping mall right next door), the Zon won hands down. Still, it was only for one night, so no complaints there. It was quieter than the Zon, so managed to get a good rest. Food!!! Went for dinner nearby at the MAA building, at this outlet called Yew’s Café on the ground floor. Was pleasantly surprised at the range of food and the internal décor. Nicely furnished with a wide array of choices from the menu, ranging from eastern, western to fusion.










They even had a welcome drink in the way of a small glass of soursop ice blend. Nice touch. When it was initially served, was wondering whether we ordered it, and was puzzled as to what it was. Decided to go for Japanese (Tori Katsu Don) and shared a starter with my colleague. Had a mango freeze to go with my meal. Overall, it was a good experience. Food quality was there, ambiance was good, and prices were reasonable. I did ask what was famous in Johor Bahru, and was told it was a type of noodle thingy, but I have forgotten the name.







The trip continued after a one day break, to Kota Kinabalu. Stayed at Jesselton Hotel, a small but nicely furbished hotel. The doorman was dressed in colonial style, and staff were very friendly. Room was on the smaller scale but had a more up market look. Pleasant stay. In terms of food, wasn’t adventurous, and had KFC for dinner in Wisma Merdeka and kon lo mee hoon for breakfast at a nearby shop. Saw a Bak Kut Teh shop nearby, but didn’t try it. Not really a fan though. What?! No sea food? WHOAAA! Go to KK and not have sea food? The shock! The horror!

But yes, for lunch the next day, we had a splendid meal in Port View Restaurant along the beach front. Not that cheap (but cheaper compared to KL), and the quality was first rate! Had this elephant trunk clams which was new to me. Steamed fish which was done just right. In Chinese, I think it is called “Hoi Tai Kai”? (Direct translation would be sea bed chicken, but more commonly known as "Snapper" in English). Retail price for this fish about RM120 to RM140 per kilo. Also had crabs galore and one or two additional dishes. Very good quality. Unfortunately, did not take any pictures (a bit shy, as it was a business lunch).

Dinner, a bit of an anticlimax, and had another go at KFC, this time at the airport before flying to Kuching. I think no more KFC for me for a while after this.

Last stop, Kuching. Met a banker friend for lunch, and he brought me to this coffee shop famous for FooChow food. I think he had Mee Suah. For me, how can I go back and not tried my tomato kuay teow? My West Malaysian friends always say it is my imagination and my fixation with tomato sauce. Well there! They have it in the coffee shop, and I had mine with prawns (big ones that is)!. Am salivating just thinking of the dish again.

4 comments:

Gina said...

I think sea food in KL is so much cheaper compared to the ones in KK - maybe we got to the wrong restaurants. But, freshness wise, KK definitely win hands down.

You should ask Lilian to bring to you this Sentul Curry Sting Ray. I think the food there is cheap and super.

Alex said...

KK still cheaper I think, but Sarawak even more so! :)

Sentul Curry StingRay? hmmm.. that woman super busy now'leh. don't dare ask her now to bring. but will definitely do so later. thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

KK Jesselton Hotel. I've stayed there before. Nice place. Did they still have the 3rd flr for guest common or resting area. Cosy and U can make yr free cup of coffee and read paper up there with some board games as well. The owner when I was there is a foreign family from ... can't recall. Every Sunday would used to frequent the street behind the hotel for the Sunday market. The Filipino market is also in a walking distance and also the fish market. Quite interesting. The bak kut teh shop so so only. But back row of the bak kut teh shop, U can find a seafood restaurant quite good for fish dishes etc. Eh U posted the Jesselton hotel key at the wrong bucket of yr story. :)

Alex said...

Hey lsg, don't know'leh. Didn't get to explore the hotel. Checked in around 7pm+, and then went makan and shopping a bit at Wisma Merdeka with my colleague. Didn't get back to hotel until almost 10pm. Rooms on the smallish side, but comfortable and very nicely decorated. Quite classy.

Then next morning, went out for breakfast and proceeded to our company's office nearby. Event finished around 12:30pm, went for lunch and was brought around for city tour (and surrounding area) - even the Uni campus, until about 4:30pm. Went jalan jalan for about 45mins then caught a cab to airport.

Have been to the Filipino market in my other trips, but nothing there for me. Didn't get to explore the other makan places. No time oh!

The hotel key picture? Correctly posted'leh! This post (part 2) on food muh! :P