Monday, August 07, 2006

Weekend… Part 2 (Sunday)

Sunday came, and slept in as late as I could. Did a bit of house chores, before going out to meet friends for lunch. Yeah, went to Sri Neela’s again in Taman Desa for their banana leaf rice. I like the banana leaf rice there for the deep fried bitter gourd. Normally don’t eat bitter gourd, unless it’s cooked this way. Had mine with mixed chicken and fish curry sauce. Also ordered a small plate of sotong, but didn’t really like it. I think the batter is too light, and not crispy enough. Still, I had second helpings, and decided to skip dinner to compensate for over eating again.



Makan-ed mine with a set of fork and spoon, whilst my friends ate theirs the traditional Indian way - with their hands. Have tried eating with my hands, but never got used to it. No paper tosai this time for me, not that I didn’t order, but the eatery’s cook has a break from all these roti thingies between noon and three.

The thing I like about banana leaf rice is that it is “all you can eat” - for the same price. Particularly popular on Fridays when most would go vegetarian. When you finish, there’s apparently a meaning in the way you fold the banana leaf. If you fold the banana leaf down towards you, it means you liked the meal. If you fold the leaf upwards to the table, it means you didn’t like the meal. I was told there are other meanings as well, particularly during Indian wedding celebrations. The other place I like to go for the banana leaf rice is Restaurant Kanna along Jalan Gasing. The different types of curries there is simply superb, and they do a mean deep fried sotong dish!

And after all that fried oily stuff, what better way than to cleanse with cups and cups of Chinese tea?! Yeah, we adjourned to my friend’s house for some tea. She has this new Chinese tea set which she wanted to try out, so we tried at least four different tea flavours. There’s the “Sleeping Beauty” which didn’t contain any caffeine, and has a slight bitter after taste. The girls told me it was more herbal rather than tea (huh!?! Like I would know). There’s also the “tik kun yam” tea, and another two flavours. Looking back, I am actually quite ignorant of a lot of things. First, don’t know differences between fishes (except for the obvious ones of course), then trees, now teas! Probably a lot more other things I don’t know if I were to think about it. Bummer! As though lunch was not full enough, and drank massive loads of tea, had two slices of cake to go with our Chinese tea session. Last I heard, there will be an English tea session coming up sometime. How quaint! One of them (who is holidaying in Europe at the moment) is supposed to bake a butter cake (her specialty apparently – and have proven very popular from what I have heard). Another has plans to experiment with Tiramisu, while I will be doing my apple crumble! Not sure when though, actual day has not been fixed. Oh boy!

Trotted off to church after that, and had to song lead. Good thing is that I had a full stomach, so had energy to burn while singing (I wonder how many calories I lose by singing one song. Hmmm!), but the bad thing is that I drank too much tea, and had water retention issues! Need toilet break! Need toilet break!

Evening came, and although I wasn’t feeling very hungry, trotted off to busy Menjalara for what was supposed to be a light dinner at D’Fortune Western CafĂ© with a friend. Started off with a super sized glass of watermelon juice (actually wanted mango juice, but tadak!), my friend had carrot juice (also super sized). Hey! Was feeling thirsty despite all the tea earlier due to the hot weather. Would just need to go to the toilet more often later! The place was quite packed, and I think understaffed that evening. The poor waiter was almost solo-ly handling the entire room, and as a result, service was kind of slow, but as my friend kept reminding me… PATIENCE…. So what did I finally eat? Gave in to temptation and tried the grilled short beef ribs with sweet BBQ sauce, served with flavoured rice and some vegetables.



The portion was not that big, but sufficient, considering that I wasn’t hungry in the first place. I still whalloped the entire plate. The meal was very tasty, and I particularly liked the BBQ sauce. And the damage to the wallet? Not too bad actually, prices were not exorbitant, but slightly cheaper comparatively to outlets in the heart of KL itself. How ah! How to lose weight before the concert in November? Need to target for a trimmer me before then, but this weekend certainly hasn’t helped. As a matter of fact, the next two coming weekends will also be “food”-filled, with two big dinner celebrations being already pre-arranged!

Lepak-ed “a bit” after dinner, and got home late again, tired out from my weekend. I definitely need a break – both from work, and from my weekend adventures! Need to find some “my time” for me to relax.

2 comments:

laymank said...

Wow! Very action-packed weekend you have had there! With lots of food, too!

And more to come, you said?!

Anonymous said...

Hi Laymank, yeah. Need a proper holiday where I don't have to do anything but laze around.

Two big makan gatherings planned back in Sarawak. One is for over 70 ppl, the other, proper sit down dinner with 20+ tables (last I heard).