Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Spirit of Patriotism

The National Day is coming, where we will be celebrating our 49th year of independence. On the air, chats have been going on about how we see less flags being flown from cars this year, and the radio hosts were trying to figure out why that was so. I think it was concluded that previous years, the flags were given out free by some corporate entities, so we as Malaysians were willing to fly the flags. However, this year, we don’t seem to be getting the flags for free, and as such, not as many flags were being flown. I don’t know how much truth there is in this conclusion, but I guess it would probably be generally true based on some bias assumptions I can make.

However, what is patriotism? My dictionary defines it as the love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it. Flying a flag is just an outer sign, and some may say that if you cannot even show your patriotism outwardly by even flying the jalur gemilang, then you don’t feel for the country. Well, I have flown the flag in past years (and I think I still have it in my cupboard somewhere), but to me, the spirit of patriotism as shown by the love of country could be taken to mean the development of the country and its people in one way or another. Each individual’s contribution would be different. Whether this is via economic support and sacrifice, i.e. for the lay people, we sacrifice our hard earned dosh by going shopping and spend, spend, spend…! :), or via development of the culture and arts, as well as other charitable deeds to help others shouldn’t be discriminated and forgotten. Have you done your share to contribute to society and the country?

The flying of the flag, akin to the wearing of a badge only in August when the merdeka celebration approaches is superficial to say the least. Yes, it does call for a greater awareness of the celebration particularly during this month, but for most Malaysians I guess, it would just be another public holiday, and a serves as a good break from work. Call me cynical, but has anybody done any market research on this? Don’t get me wrong though, I am not opposed to flying the flag, I think we all should “wear a badge” sometimes, whether as a reaffirmation or reminder of the event, but should also inculcate within ourselves that the spirit of patriotism doesn’t only entail a celebration come 31 August, but is actually a year round event.

Went back to Sarawak again two weeks' back for my eldest uncle’s 70th birthday bash. Quite a big do I might add, as there were over 20 tables and relatives from as far as UK coming back for the event. Flew back with AirAsia, and I must say, what better way to advertise the country than by painting the plane with the national flag? Way to go, AirAsia!

No comments: