Saturday, August 26, 2006

Toast!

This post is specially dedicated to Renu, one of my ex-Uni mate, who is unique and talented in so many different ways! :)

Went to watch a play Friday night, braving the traffic as I headed back into the city to Taman Budaya after the heavy downpour. This was the first play I have ever watched (excluding musical types), and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Was initially apprehensive of going to watch it, as I had expected to be bored (come on! it's a play!!! - no singing oh!), but I am glad I went. I did enjoy it, and I wasn't bored. And given that my funny bones are hard to tickle (I didn't laugh once when I watched Ace Ventura - Pet Detective!), but this play got a chuckle or two, as well as some almost hearty laughs out from me.

What is it about:
Young Isnin is a clerk with big dreams, but who's stuck in a dead-end job. The one thing that keeps him going in the office is Nandhini, his co-worker. Who is she? What's she doing there? Then, one dull afternoon, Isnin is told to go to the company's basement storeroom with Nandhini. What lurks in the depths of the building? What will he find out about his mysterious co-worker?

Directed by David Lim, the play was written Shahredza Minhat who also stars as the lead character 'Isnin'. Also featuring the talents of Renuka Veerasingam, Farrah Aini and Abdul Qahar Aqilah.

What I liked about it:
1. The casts were well focused, and had energy. I am no expert, but after having gone through some workshops as well as being on stage myself, I can tell you, it is not easy to break out of the comfort zones. I particularly thought Redza and Farrah were very good on stage. Good voice projections too, especially given that the play was not miked up.
2. Simple props, but effective. I liked the usage of the screen. Initially I didn't know how "the dancing behind the screen" related to the play, but was enlightened that it was a "filler", like for in between scenes. It made me laugh a bit because it was unexpected, yet entertaining. Good movements Renu! :) Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing you dance in all the years in Uni. Hmmm.
3. The interplay between Farrah and Abdul Qahar was quite a laugh. Dare I say it brought back some memories? :P
4. The double meaning behind words used. I am sure I didn't catch all the double meanings, but some just stick to my head... like "sleeping partner". I nearly burst out laughing at the connotation.

What I think could be improved:
1. Lighting, although I was later told that they didn't have a technical run through, as they only got the hall that evening. In short, Friday being the show, was the bump-in so to say. Some lighting boo-boos in some parts, but nothing major. Yet, the cast were in some shadows at some scenes, which muted the impact of what the cast wanted to bring across via facial expressions.
2. I liked how it ended, but I think that last scene when "Isnin" was dancing could have been prolonged by dimming the lights on stage even more slowly. It would have made it more definite, as opposed to audience guessing whether the play has ended or not.
3. The publicity - under the Kementerian's jurisdiction, but I don't think there was enough publicity. I reckon there was more coverage when the show was produced last February.

Generally, I was quite impressed with the play, and after this play, will definitely try to broaden my horizons as opposed to just catching musical type shows. Thank you Renu, for informing me about the play. I had contemplated skipping the play entirely due to traffic concerns, as well as my unfounded expectations, but I am glad I went. It was definitely worth the time. Kudos to Shahredza who wrote the play, and all the casts and crew involved. Well done!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

for braving the traffic and heavy KL downpour. we salute you! Thanx for coming! - Redza

Alex said...

Hi Redza, Congrats.
Well done again!!