Monday, August 07, 2006

Weekend… Part 1 (Saturday)

What a week! Been makaning again, starting from Friday lunch. Went to the Thai restaurant, but didn’t really fancy much. So, was being really “Cina” and ordered sweet and sour fish! At least they gave some Tom Yam soup to go with it. Also had the Thai ABC as opposed to my usual Red Ruby dessert. Stuffed myself silly, and felt guilty after that. Promised myself no dinner – and sort of kept the promise, but had some “light” snacks instead.

Saturday morning came, woke up early for my singing class (class is usually at noon, but swapped with another student for her 10am class as I had something else on for lunch). The previous few times I went to class without eating, I couldn’t last the session, as it involved a lot of energy – especially for those dramatic type of songs. So, there I go makan breakfast at Sri Neela’s. Had my paper tosai (but forgot to take picture again!) and a cup of teh tarik. After finishing, still felt hungry (no dinner the previous night muh!), and whacked one roti pisang! I never had roti pisang until I came to Kuala Lumpur. My hometown in Sarawak did not have a large Indian community, so was deprived of Indian food. One of my ex-uni mates introduced me to roti pisang, and I think the first one I tried was either in Subang or Shah Alam (forgot already) a very long time ago.

After class, went to Sing Kee Chinese coffee shop to ta-pau food for a potluck lunch thingy at my colleague’s house. Bought siew yeok, char siu, siu cheong and pai kuat, and asked for extra sauces to go! Yummy! There were other dishes there, and yes, over ate again.


Also had a birthday cake (which was meant as a surprise for one of my colleagues, but at the last minute, she couldn’t make it). So, we called her up, put on speaker phone, sang a birthday song, took pics, made a video recording of our sing-a-long session for our show and tell on Monday. Actually, the purpose of the lunch was to go to buy a plant as a house warming gift. The previous time we went, it sort of drizzled, so plans to go buy the plant was KIVed until last Saturday. Helped to repot plants (well, my contribution in terms of help was to take pictures! Definitely don’t have green fingers!), and sort of bumped around after that for a bit. Some wanted to watch “The Maid”, but I chickened out (verdict was that it was ok, but not as spooky as Shutter). It’s a story set in the Chinese seventh month thingy, so no dearie, thank you very much, not for me.

Actually, that night, I had a photo shoot session on for my singing group at 9pm, and before that there was supposed to be a BBQ session, which I opted out of. Must control my food intake somewhat. Wasn’t planning to eat dinner, but my sister cooked a simple dish of some chicken, preserved meat and vege and bunked all into the rice cooker. Nice, but I ate in moderation. Still full from lunch, and didn’t want to look bloated for the photos (not that I didn’t already look bloated, but hey, I can hope…).

The photo session was quite good, in that this was the first time I saw how two or more images can be captured in one shot. It’s as though in the first shot taken is like the normal type, and the second shot taken, it sorts of becomes like the soul or spirit shot. I think it is the use of lights, where a torch light was used to shade or colour us for the second shot. Not entirely sure of the mechanics of it all, and it was initially spooky, but had a very nice effect. Photo session got delayed a bit during the process as the camera battery went flat. Had to wait a bit to continue. We did some “jamming” sessions and sang some songs from our upcoming concert, and man, could we feel the energy! By the time the battery was recharged, it was fast approaching midnight. So, didn’t manage to finish everyone’s individual shots, but did get the group shots done. Kind of interesting. Finally got home after midnight. Tired out and half my weekend is gone.

No comments: