Friday, October 13, 2006

To market, to market…

To market, to market, to buy a fat pig.
Home again, home again, jiggety jig.
To market, to market, to buy a fat hog,
Home again, home again, jiggety jog.
To market, to market, to buy a plum bun,
Home again, home again, market is done.


Well, I went to the market, but didn’t buy a fat pig, hog or plum bun. And neither did I do a jiggety jig. Was on leave Thursday, and decided to go to the market to buy some chicken wings for a BBQ this coming Saturday to celebrate two friends’ birthday. I reckon it is cheaper to buy at the market than from the supermarket where I usually get my stuff. Still, will have to marinade the chicken wings before I bring over for the BBQ. Planning to do my usual char siu sauce and barbeque sauce mix, with a dab (or two!) of chilly powder and honey! Yumm!

Actually, had a chicken thigh mixed in somewhere due to specific requests. I guess some may not fancy chicken wings. I know others who are particular about eating chicken feet. But seriously, what’s the difference? Is it the thought that the chicken feet are “dirty” because they step here, there and everywhere? But if they are washed and cooked properly, clean also what! Well, each to their own preference I guess.

Can see a whole range of stuff, from meat to fishes, veggies to fruits. Being a working day, I managed to observe how the regulars trade playful barbs with the vendors and how some will remark “Why so expensive wan!”. Do you know that the price of the cod fish is RM80 per kg?!?. Not cheap, I can tell you, but if steamed properly, it tastes heavenly. I normally don’t eat steamed fish, but for cod, I will make an exception. This particular stall is very popular, and the vendor is super busy having to single handedly serve the queue. Had to wait about 10 minutes just to be served – no choice I guess, since his was the only stall which had the cod fish.

Later, went to the Berjaya Times Square to jalan-jalan. Since my parents are in town, brought them there to look-see look-see. One of the things I marvel at is how Malaysians will go for bargains, especially ladies. Came across this warehouse clearance, and you wouldn’t believe the aunty-aunty and yee-ma ku ches there (not related mind you), would rush to grab and check out the goods as soon as the new stuff is brought in by the various staff. The “hot” items were the cooking pots and pans. I think amongst all the shoppers there, 85% were ladies, and you say people are tight with cash nowadays? Hmmm…

1 comment:

Gina said...

Dunno who invented the shopping mall? Women or men?