Saturday, October 28, 2006

A morning expedition

Along came the weekend, and plans were made a few days earlier to go makan at Petaling Street in a shop owned by relatives of ZL. But before that, the girls from The Wicked Pitches wanted to have a brief sojourn over at this shoe shop to look for their silver/white shoes for the upcoming concert. I think the shop specializes in dancing shoes, given the array of shoes available and several newspaper cuttings to that effect.

I went along also looking for a pair of white shoes, but alas, the owner only have men’s black shoes in stock, and asked me to take my pick of salsa shoes and whatever other shoes available, but all in black. The girls commented that silver shoes are also ok, because under the bright stage lights, it won’t make much difference as opposed to white, but I commented that seldom do I see guys wearing silver shoes. The owner was kind of affronted and said that he has done (designed?) silver men’s shoes before. Oppps! Ok… also saying that I could place an order and will take about four to five weeks to do…. It’s alright, would have missed my concert date anyway. Silver sports shoes I have seen, but unless for the stage, definitely not my colour. Heck! What do I know anyway, am definitely not a fashion guru!

In any case, I didn’t see anything which suited me, but the girls apparently had a jolly old time trying various pairs of shoes before deciding on one pair each (after an extended period of time). Just imagine letting kids loose in a candy shop – this one? No, that one? Nah, not as comfortable? Err.. this one ok or not? Hey! This one looks better! No, too common, Yay! This is the best!… not that I am complaining mind you, just interesting to note how girls shop. :P Been told I am sometimes indecisive, and wonder if I appear as such to my friends when I go shopping (but thank goodness I don’t go shopping often). Hmmm.

What about the cost for a pair of shoes? And when I turned over a pair just to look at the price tag, WT#$%*!! So much ah!?! Just for that flimsy looking pair of shoe? ZL kindly brought me back to modern times and said it is reasonable, considering that the “more” branded ones can be double the price. Huh! I guess I am really behind times, but I last bought my current pair of casual old faithful camel hard leather shoes quite a long time back (which admitted looks kind of faded, but still comfortable and sturdy!). Oh well. May have to up my budget a bit when I really hunt for my white pair of shoes.

However, when I really think about it, RM100 to RM200 really doesn’t go all that far nowadays, especially when you consider visitations to spas, facials, (and that’s not even considering the various pampering products), buying handphones, cameras and other “almost” necessities. After all, going out for a good meal itself can set one back more than that amount - easily.

So, what’s good after some retail therapy (and I just hinted earlier?!) Food therapy of course! Had fried Ho Fun (two types), some sweet and sour fish, char siu, and the main specialty? Boxing chicken! I guess it’s called boxing chicken because of the “final” look - using the drummet (?? – the smaller drumstick), battered and deep fried, served with a special sauce. Looks more like boxing gloves that’s what, hence the name I guess.

And the verdict? Simply Yummilicious! Chicken was still tender, not overfried, and the batter was simply brilliant. I think the shop is well known for this dish as I recall having been here a few years back and also having this dish. And if you are thinking of going to try it out, better go before the 31October, because the shop will be undergoing some renovation which will take about six months. Enjoy…

2 comments:

Gina said...

I see you are putting lotsa effort in this concert. Silver shoes on men? Hhmmmph.

The chicken looks delicious!

Alex said...

Hahaaaha, my sentiments exactly on the silver shoes on guys, but then again, if it is very showey, and for dancing purposes, it's actually ok. Some tap dancers wear silver tap shoes and look cool!

Yeah, chicken was superb! Budgeted my tummy for only three, but greedy me took four instead! SLURPP!