Monday, October 30, 2006

Playing Cupid - Part 2

When we got to Klang Parade, the dance performance had not started yet. Scheduled for 3pm, and it wasn’t just belly dancing but a “Carnival of Dance” showcasing performances by students from a particular dancing school in Klang. The dancing school apparently caters not so much to the ballroom dancing type, but the more modern hip hop dance type.

Whilst waiting, I decided to do some shopping for the upcoming concert. Still needed to get a white top and white shoes. Think I went round the shopping mall at least twice, and must have gone in all the various clothing shops, but didn’t find anything I fancied for my white top. Will probably head back to Metrojaya in MidValley (saw a white top the other day, but slightly on the pricey side – then found out I have a RM100 voucher to be utilized in Metrojaya!). After all that, I did manage to get my pair of white shoes. Yay! Had initially budgeted about RM150 to RM200 for the pair of shoes, but saw a pair going for RM29.99!! Couldn’t believe it, Cheap! Cheap! – BUY! Only thing is, it looked like the typical school shoes, and when I brought it back home, my sisters did comment “Aiyee! Why buy school shoes!” Cheap muh!! :( Now, can only hope it will go with the off white pants I got the other day from Hush Puppies and the white top I will be planning to get soon. Fingers crossed!

Ok, the dance performance began. Strangely enough, it wasn’t all dance, there were some singing too, but all in Chinese and the typical cantopop type. The females’ costumes were like all white, some all black (HEY! That sounds familiar!) and mixture of this, that and the other. At least there were some kind of standardization.

Quality of singing? Ok-ok’lah, off pitch a bit here and there, but who really cares in a shopping mall with the background music blasting away?! Dancing quality? Obviously, there were some very good ones and some not so good ones. If you are talking about performance in a shopping mall, I guess it will do, but if for a proper concert, I guess not quite there. Some of the choreos were very nicely done, others were not quite together. There goes the critical me… but after being exposed to some of the theatrical aspects, I guess I am learning to be more discerning. Still, knowing what to do is one thing, executing it well is another thing altogether.

The belly dancing was quite alright, but not the typical showing the midriff type with the swaying of the hips. Oh, there was definitely some swaying of the hips (and other body parts!), :) and my friend was greatly transfixed on the “potential one”, heheee, but the routine was more “modernized” belly dancing with a bit of hip hop thrown in (later had it verified by my friend’s “potential” that it was indeed what the dance teacher intended). Shucks… not enough skin shown’leh for belly dancing, but I guess ok’lah given that it WAS in a shopping mall with lots of kids around, etc.

So, yes, overall, it was admirable. Also, a bit difficult I think, especially when you have to sing and dance at the same time. I can definitely relate. Myself, I am "a bit" (stress that like 100 times) “kayu” on stage, so I should really keep quiet, and not criticize too much.

One phrase that has been constantly hammered into us as performers (or wannabe performers) is the word “Energy”! If one is just going through the motion, and half hearted swinging the arms, legs or whatever part of the body, then the effect is lost. Even when singing, the “Intensity” has to be there. Again, knowing all these things is one thing, but once you are on the spotlight on stage, with so many pairs of eyes looking at you, focus and concentration is crucial to combat the nerves and the stage fright. Forgetting or disjointed movement is one thing, but for an acappella group, forgetting the music or wording is another thing altogether. Would simply DIE! One thing I am learning from the various choreos we are doing now is that movements have to be deliberate, otherwise, will not capture the audiences’ attention. Will have to see if me, as a singular person can achieve the effect, and whether the group as a whole can do so as well. Pressure! Pressure!

Of all the performances, I liked the breakdancing part best, but only in sections. What really stood out for me, was when this guy who was wearing a blue top, did some handstands which were absolutely awesome (to me anyway)! There were various walking/jumping handstands and the fantastically cool one handed handstands, and of course the double handed handstands with the stylish contortion of the body held for an indefinitely long period of time (seemed that way – but of course, would have preferred if the posture was held even longer for all to go “Ooh! Ahh!” even more). Way cool! Of course, I have always wished I could do these motions too, but know for sure I would simply fall flat on my face (especially given my body weight!). Hmm, maybe I should take up dancing to lose weight and to lose my “kayu”-ness? But then again, where would I find time? As though I am not busy enough…..

But I digress, my whole point of coming to the mall was to meet my friend’s “potential”. While waiting for her to get changed (she had to rush off for her friend’s wedding dinner after meeting us), my friend and I decided to grab a bit to eat first. I had cravings for The Esquire Kitchen’s sweet and sour wanton with the fried rice, but was told that this particular outlet is not so good.

So, my friend and I tried the OldTown eatery (which is typically famous for its roti bakar and coffee). I had my iced coffee and nasi lemak which was overall so so. Can do’lah! (Hmm, I wonder when I began to be a fussy old pot). And yes, when the “potential” arrived, we did have a good chat in Starbucks over drinks. Her bubbly personality was very evident and her ease in “handling” people, a real marvel. I wish my friend the very best of luck.

7 comments:

Gina said...

Eleh! Go and criticize ppl kau kau already, then only say, the main thing is to meet the potential gf. Cheh! Hahaha. And.. you and your white shoes. You shopping for a wife is it? Take so long.

Alex said...

Constructive criticism muh! Some more, I also criticise myself what! :)

Yeah, should have given more "juicy" bits on my friend's potential gf ya! Hehee! Will see, will see...

Take so long cos' cannot find cheap cheap one. Not willing to spend so much on it woh! Maybe that's why I am still single, finding wife takes EVEN longer... my friends say I very fussy! You'leh? Also fussy ah! :P

Gina said...

I think your accountant's background is getting to you leh.. I prefer to save time..

I am not fussy. I am just boh lang ai.

Alex said...

My accountant background? What accountant background! :) Yeah, I did study accountancy but never pursued it after. Prefer finance to accounting anytime (although related)!

boh lang ai? not true'leh... surely there are so many hooks out there dangling, all ready to catch you, but then again, you can set the hook too, ya! :)

Anonymous said...

Heehee He can't catch yr accountant thing!

"boh lang ai" - if there are more hooks out there, shouldn't it be more fishing rod to cast the hook back. Haha

laymank said...

lsg's comment very profound oh...
alex, please answer.. can?

Alex said...

hey laymank, me confused on the logical inference, but then again, I am not logical, so cannot explain. Maybe lsg can clarify? :P