Monday, October 30, 2006

Playing Cupid - Part 1

A close friend buzzed me on Saturday afternoon, asking me if I wanted to go to Klang to see some belly dancing on Sunday afternoon.

Alex: Klang? Huh? See what? Where in Klang exactly?
Friend: Klang Parade.
Alex: So far oh! Go for what!
Friend: Got a friend there doing belly dancing performance. Go support, muh!

Err… ok. Can accompany. And later I found out that the friend he wanted to support is a girl he is interested in and want to introduce the girl to me. Wah! Damn honoured! :) But the catch? My friend doesn’t know how to get there, hoping I would show the way. As if! I have been to Klang like how many times only (can count the fingers in one hand). But since he’s going there to show his interest in the girl, ok’lah, I tag along to play cupid, and also check out the girl.

So, in order not to get lost, I made some attempts to ask for directions from my other friends who may be familiar. First one I called actually grew up in Klang and think Klang is the best place in the world (actually, he tried persuading me to buy a house in Klang – siao ah! So far oh – I work in Ampang oi!, as I am wont to tell him!). Alas, I didn’t managed to get hold of him, and resorted to calling another friend whose wife used to stay in Klang (but he is a KL lang).

Directions given by KL friend’s missus were relatively clear and there I went fingers crossed that the directions were correct. However, my friend laughed at me and guaranteed I would get lost in Klang. Shissh! Klang so complicated meh? Later my original born and bred Klang friend returned call, and gave me another direction which he said was easier.

Klang friend: SIMPLE only… You turn left after the RM1 toll… then go….

I think he said “Simple” or “Easy” at least 5 times, and strangely enough, when someone tells me something is easy, my guard goes up, and I get kind of apprehensive. Something which is simple to one may be a disaster waiting to happen to another. So how ah?

Then I remembered my younger sister commutes to Klang quite often and her boyfriend is from Klang. So I asked for verification of some sort. The directions given were similar to my KL lang’s missus’ directions, so I sort of put into my short term memory as to how to get there based on verbal directions. Hmm, sounds dodgy, but can’lah. Will try to find the way.

And?

And so, along came Sunday, and my friend drove by to pick me up all excited to go. I asked him what would have happened if I couldn’t make it? He said he would stay at home, afraid will get lost in Klang. Hahahaaaa! Actually, I feel the same way, and know for sure that some Klang folks (even PJ folks mind you) are fearful of heading into the big bad KL city center due to the traffic and the complicated one-way streets. Sometimes also, my born and bred Klang friend would call me for directions in KL (but he’s adventurous, so he’s ok).

Following the directions given earlier, we managed to find Jalan Meru (directions given were very good, thank you BT!), and wondered which building was Klang Parade. Saw this big brown building with Parkson emblazoned on it, but no identifier for Klang Parade. Hmm, made a quick call, and yes, had it verified that this was indeed the elusive Klang Parade. Finally! Found it without getting lost – definitely a very good feeling indeed.

As we were parking, both of us were kind of relieved that no untoward incident happened (i.e. getting lost), and I told my friend that my directions were only good for getting to Klang parade. Getting back to KL is another matter…. Oh oh!…but that’s another story….

3 comments:

Gina said...

Fuyoh.. belly dancing some more... sure nose bleed.

laymank said...

sounds like a fun trip!

laymank said...

Hmm... interesting suggestion.
Maybe you should broden your scope of 'hunt' into klang area??

maybe can ask your friend's 'potential' to intro??

hehehe!!