Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Christmas 2005 and New Year 2006

Amidst all the hype and anticipation of the new year, I somehow found the onset of 2006 kind of a let down. The festive cheer during Christmas overshadowed the ringing in of the new year. Perhaps there were lesser fireworks, perhaps there were less joy being spread. I guess simply, that I felt kind of detached from the events. No doubt, there were some happy moments, but on the whole, I think part of my moodiness was purely a matter of the heart.

On to happier things! Yes, Christmas was indeed a splendid event. Didn’t get off to too brilliant a start though, especially when I checked-in at KLIA at 4:50pm for my AirAsia flight at 6:10pm, and was informed on the spot that I had to go to the Gate asap. I wondered why, and when I checked my printed ticket, the flight was retimed earlier to 5:30pm, and AirAsia never informed me earlier. So there I went, and waited at the gate, didn’t see the plane by 5:30pm, so I guess it would be delayed, and true enough, by 6:00pm, there was an announcement that the flight will depart at 6:50pm (which it finally did at 7:15pm).

Christmas at home in Serian was a “normal” affair. Family dinner was at 6:00pm, and then on to the 9:00pm mass. But in between, we opened Christmas presents early, and was quite a happy affair. Got a bag, a book, a shirt, amongst other things. On Christmas day itself, got up early (6:15am) to help out at the petrol station at 7:00am. Worked most of the day, until a big family, and close family friends, dinner do in the evening. Last year, we had about 60 over people for the dinner bash. This year itself, there were more than 80 people (as more relatives turned up). Lots of good food as usual, and even had a caroling session. Quite a boisterous affair, as there were many younger cousins, nieces and nephews running around. They were happy to receive Christmas presents from my parents and from my sisters and myself. The light sabers for the nephews and younger male cousins were especially popular.

Back in KL, met up with some friends for dinner and exchanged some gifts. Quite a good occasion, this time, received a unique rotating three-sided photo frame, a candle holder, a mini flatulence book (thank you AH), a set of oven mittens and a bottle of Heinz Ketchup, and a special Maranatha Acapella Praise CD. Very nice heart warming gifts.

Oh, before going back to Sarawak, also had an office do with my unit at “The Mustard Tree” in AmpWalk. The décor was great, the food was great, the ambience was great, the company was also great. There was also a gift exchange amongst all the merry making. My colleagues seemed to enjoy drinking the wine very much.

So, back to the present time, New Year was a subdued affair. Stayed in during the extended weekend (Monday was a public holiday), and basically caught up with my reading. Finished reading Robin Hobb’s The Assassin Trilogy. Started the first book on the plane back to Sarawak and finally finished the third book during the new year. Quite a good read. Better than I had expected. Writing style was tight and the story line was refreshing.

Am back at work already, and feeling the blues. Have many wishes for this year, hopefully some will come true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex,

happy new year...let me guess your top wish in the list....is it marriage ?

;)

Anonymous said...

Happy new year to you too!
Top wish? FUNNY - not! :P