Monday, January 23, 2006

Ipoh Old Town eatery place

Went for breakfast at the Ipoh Old Town in Danau Desa last Saturday, after a recommendation by some friends. It’s basically a coffee shop decorated tactfully to represent a “vintage” era.

They had signages of road names (presumably in Ipoh) on the beams of the ceiling.

Saw a Hakka noodle thingy on the menu. I recall being told quite a while back that there's a large Hakka community in Ipoh. Being Hakka, thought I would try it, and see how it compared to Sarawak's KoLo mee. It actually differs quite a bit, and I think it has been "Peninsularised" with soya sauce in it. Tasted quite ok, but was not brilliant. The soup was unique though, it had two meatballs and two fish balls in it. I was pleasantly surprised. The white iced coffee (which it is supposedly famous for) tasted ok only. Something was somehow missing. My friends told me I should have taken the normal coffee as it is more "cheng!".

Another famous item is the coffee with roti bakar which my friend had. I "stole" a bite or two of the roti bakar. This tasted quite good.

Other friends also had half boiled eggs (yuck!). They said it was quite nice, but I was put off by the thought of the rawness. Have never liked half boiled eggs or even sunny side up eggs. Much prefer scrambled eggs! I think it is the thought that the rawness is just a step away from a little chick that puts me off.

No comments: