Tuesday, January 17, 2006

What ‘cha eating?

After attending a product launch this morning in which my big boss presented to at least 1,000 agents, it was nearing noon, and there I was standing at the back, wondering what to eat!

Have you ever gone through phases in eating? Any sudden cravings? This may sound sexist, but females probably would have, especially from what I hear, when they are expecting. Still, I think my case is unique. I go through phases in food. At least 7 to 8 years back, I went through my “chicken rice” phase. I had chicken rice every working day for 2 weeks! After that, I got “tired” of chicken rice, and now only eat it occasionally. The few other phases I went through included “satay”, but that was when I was a teenager and still in Serian. After dinner, I pleaded with my parents so that I could go out and buy satay to eat as “after dinners”. Would have gone everyday, but think my parents did right in limiting me to once a week only. I think the novelty was not in the satay itself, but in the ketupat or sometimes nasi impit with the peanut sauce. They had brilliant ones at home when I was young. Coming to KL, I had the chance to sample Indian food, and yes, Indian food is good! Never really had Indian food when I was in Sarawak. I guess the Indian community was very small in my hometown. Never even heard of roti canai, papadums, etc. until much later in life. Yes, since discovering Indian cuisine, I had phases for “Roti Tissue”, which lasted a few weeks, then “Paper Tosei”, which lasted even longer! I am coming to the end of my “Banana Leaf Rice” phase, although I am quite particular which veggie is served. Only really liked it from one place in Taman Desa so far, but have not really explored Brickfields or other areas which are even more popular with such food. My Banana Leaf Rice phase lasted almost a month, but no, I didn’t have it everyday! Am actually in the midst of my “Fried Rice” phase, especially from one Indian stall in GE Mall’s food court. Had it almost everyday for one week last month, and only occasionally now.

Today, I went to the car park area beside the mall, and ta-paued fried rice, but Malay style. Was walking around there wondering what to eat, then decided to try the Malay fried rice from one of the stalls. The makcik asked me if I wanted pedas or not pedas. Of course, I wanted the PEDAS!! And guess what, looking at the other food they were serving, I saw nasi impit, but the peanut sauce didn’t look all that great. Still, I wanted to try some, and ta-paued a bit of that too. Then it hit me, “Oh, oh!”, will probably bust my daily lunch budget of RM5. Surprisingly, the fried rice with a piece of chicken costs me RM3.00, and the nasi impit RM1.50. Totally within my budget.

At the time of writing this, the food’s all gone. I still prefer the Indian fried rice, although slightly more expensive from the food court (RM5.50 with chicken). The peanut sauce was as expected, not as great as I would have liked. Maybe I am choosy, but heck, it’s my appetite! Although cheap, I don’t think I will try from the same stall again though, but there are other stalls to try from around the area. Incidentally, yes, I over ate again, but am planning to go to the gym today…. [BURP]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a very healthy eating plan. Actually there are lots of other food to be explored and try to be more cautious on certain food esp those of fried fried things. Haha are U eating to live or live to eat. Hmmm exercise helps after so much input.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, definitely not healthy. I think I am living to eat at the moment, but need to change my philosophy.. :) this would be another good way to lose my extra bulk.