Thursday, January 19, 2006

Man’s Best Friend

Almost every morning whilst driving to work, I would pass by owners or maids walking their dogs along the side roads parallel to Jalan Ampang. Big dogs, small dogs, long dogs, short dogs, spotted dogs, furry dogs, you name it, they have it. I have seen sausage dogs, Labradors, German Shepherds, Dalmation, Terrier, Schnauzer, etc… At one time, these dog walkers used to congregate at a fenced up field, and let their dogs run free, but haven’t seen that happening for a while.

Today, as my car was stalled for a bit in queue at the Jalan Ritchie junction, I was observing this Labrador and how it walked. Never occurred to me the peculiarities of a dog and its walking style. It started with its front right paw forward, then back left paw, then front left paw, and lastly back right paw. Relating it to humans, I usually walk with my right leg forward first (I think), and wondered if it has anything to do with me being right handed. Would a left handed person walk with his or her left leg forward first? Do you know?

Anyway, if you have a dog, here are some questions for you; Have you ever realised how he or she walked? (I guess you won’t call your dog “it”). Have you ever wondered given the different breeds, do they converse in the same “woof, woof”? Can they understand each other?

The year of the Dog is fast approaching, and thought that I would just do a quick note on doggies. My first dogs were puppies (2 of them), think they were mixed breeds which my dad got for me when I was younger. Never got to name them, as my mum decided against keeping them (as she had to do all the work to look after them). Then came a Doberman called Misty. Have some fond memories of her. She used to take me for a walk as opposed to me taking her for a walk as she was quite strong and so eager to wander about when I took her out. Dragging me along as she sniffed this and that to her hearts content. But alas, staying in a condominium now, and not supposed to keep pets. Bummer!

I have always had a fondness for dogs. My favourites are Beagles and Huskies. But never had either of them. It’s a joy when you get home, and the doggie will rush over to greet you and make you feel welcomed. It’s a sense of being appreciated I guess. I pestered one of my colleagues who is into dogs also to let me post a picture of her dog. Her dog is called “Honey”, and isn’t Honey pretty in this pic?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. All dogs are Man's best frd. Honey is quite fury but I personally prefer dogs of bigger and plum size. :) Never come to realise how dogs move. Only one thing which is true from my experience that is to vigorously tickle the dogs back ears and they will queitly bow to you.