Friday, July 11, 2008

Jump Starting

Really now, I have a pair of cables for jump starting a car for quite a while. Actually, since the very time I bought my first car more than 9 years back I think. I bought it so long ago because a friend told me that I never know when I may need it. And since it was my very first car (a proton saga aeroback), I got it just to be safe. So there! After changing cars a few times, the cables have now migrated to my third car, and I wasn't sure whether I still had it. Until today that is.

Was still in the office working late, and a colleague came up to me asking if I had a pair of cables to jump start his car. His car battery went flat apparently. Well, I sort of recalled having one, but wasn't 100% sure, so I trotted down to the car park and voila!, I still have my jumper cables after all.

However, what's good with having the jumper cable if I don't know how to use? Which I really don't!! Sad, eh? But at least I have the cables!!! and I did come clean and say I didn't know how and have never jump started a car.

Well, lucky for us, my colleague knew how, and I watched how and where he put the cable points, etc. But after coming home and checking online on how to use, it was not 100% correctly done. The "error" was in the connection of the negative cables:

Since the entire engine block is grounded to the negative terminal, the cable need not be connected directly to the dead battery's negative terminal, and in fact it would be unwise to do so as sparks from the connection (when the circuit is completed) could ignite the battery. (Highly explosive hydrogen gas can be given off by a battery, though this is less of a risk with the completely sealed "maintenance-free" batteries unless their case is compromised). A good connection point would be a piece of unpainted metal at least eighteen inches away from the dead battery. Some engines have eyelets which are used to attach chains when the engine needs to be lifted out of the car; these make good connection points for the jumper cable.

Luckily for us, there was no explosion or visible discharges observed, and I was trying to stand at a proper distance without being too apparent about it. Still, he managed to start his car battery to drive home at least. Poor guy, he was ill for the entire week, his team was short-handed, and current market conditions giving him added stress. The only consolation is, it the WEEKEND (yippeee!). Even for me, it has been certainly a long week, rushing reports, trouble shooting this and that, trying to understand regulatory changes, soliciting deals, and helping to ensure my new staff is settling in fine; all in the course of trying hard not to bite people's head off or being too sarcastic. Oh, but I managed to run, amidst a hobble here and there on the treadmill today! Finally made it. This month alone, been to the gym twice already, a record for this year!!

Unfortunately, my cough has been aggravated. Probably due to the lack of oxygen as I was exerting various parts of my body trying to be a fitter and slimer me. Well, I can only hope that my waist will shrink soon but hard to tell after only one workout, yonks since I last did some form of exercise!

But I digress.... If you are like me, and don't know how, or you just want to verify that what you know is actually correct, or not, the method is explained here and here. Of course, for alternatives, can also see here and maybe here for other descriptive ways of what and what not to do to jump start your car.

Incidentally, do you have a set of jumper cable in your car? If not, better get one. You never know when you will ever need its assistance. Be safe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So now, if we don't know how to jump start a car, we will call you. Haha. Anyway ah.. does it work for auto cars? Apparently, I heard it does not...

Ah? The cough has not recovered after so long? Blame the priest!

Alex said...

hey gina, yes it works for auto cars. auto cars still need to use batteries, no?

the other way which may not work for auto cars is pushing the car, getting the motion, and jump starting it from there. Have tried this before long time ago when I was working part time at a petrol station, but I was the one doing the pushing, so not sure exactly how also.