Saturday, July 19, 2008

Happenings and other what nots

Was travelling for a bit the last few days for work purposes down South to the land of the Merlion. A few things I noticed:

1. Bags and Taxi

Now this didn't happen to me, thank goodness!, but to another colleague from a different department who also travelled down for the training session. On our final day, most of us had our travel bags with us, except for a few. Two of the girls left their bags in the hotel, whilst one guy, when asked where was his bag, he replied in a deadpan face, "I left it in the taxi".

We went like, "Err.. you sure". He replied, "Yes!", and we told him to stop kidding us. Actually, he was serious about it, and luckily he had the receipt of the taxi with the taxi company's phone number and the taxi's registration number. So, he was able to reclaim his bag! Pheew!!

I think we were more nervous for him, either that, or he was in shock that it happened. Good that he kept his passport and travel documents separately on his person. Well, he did say that the only thing of value was actually his bag, and the stuffs he had in his bag didn't amount to much. We jokingly told him that his bag is telling him to stay on in Singapore and gave him an opportunity to go shopping!

Incidentally, taxi fares have gone up. Taking a 2.1km journey over a span of 6 minutes, the cost of the taxi was about S$4.20, with an additional S$3.00 city surcharge!, altogether S$7.20!!! My, oh my! Petrol prices have risen indeed, and the various ERP (which is Singapore's Eletronic Toll system) charges factored in for the consumers.

2. Pocket Knife

Another colleague, upon bags being screened before entering the aeroplane, was told to take out the pocket knife he had in his carry bag.

However, he insisted that he had put his pocket knife in the checked-in luggage earlier on, but the security guard rescanned his bag and showed him that the knife was in the bag.

Still not convinced, but since the security guard insisted, he reached into his bag, felt around, and the first thing he took out was his pocket knife!

Luckily for him though, the pocket knife wasn't confiscated, but was brought into the plane by security. He could reclaim his pocket knife over at the security section in the airport at the destination point.

3. Elderly man

During one of the evenings after finishing the training session, I walked to the nearby Chinatown to grab a bite to eat. I tapaued some crispy rojak from a hawker stall and sat along the pavement to eat (along with a lot of other Singaporeans sitting there enjoying the sights and sounds and willing the time away).

As I was halfway eating my dinner, I saw an old man hurrying past (almost to the point of running) and saying "Uncle! Uncle!" whilst chasing a middle aged man. Apparently, the middle aged man tapaued something from the old man's shop and forgot his packet of chilly sauce which the old man quickly thought to deliver, even whilst the other man was walking away.

What made the situation unique for me was that the old man calling a younger man "Uncle". Incidentally, the old man was manning the shop himself, selling different types of BBQ meat with rice.

Now, if you walk around Chinatown area, especially the market, you will notice that there are so many elderly folks. An aging population indeed, with many still working, either for the extra pocket money or just to have something to do. Whatever happened to the Golden Retirement years for elderly folks? Are modern times so difficult that old folks still need to slog through daily life, oft times doing menial jobs like sweeping the streets, cleaning public toilets, etc? Where is the justice in this world, or perhaps I am being too idealistic in nature.

4. Breakfast at SriNeela's

Most Saturdays, before my singing lesson, I would eat a Paper Dosai with a strong cup of teh tarik to give me the extra energy to sing, whilst perusing the local newspapers to catch up on happenings. Today was no exception. However, this time, there was a man and woman with a child at the table next to mine, and I saw them ordering one nasi lemak and a plain roti canai, with two drinks between them. When the nasi lemak came, it looked absolutely tempting, and after I finished my paper tosai, I ordered one nasi lemak, just to try!

Whilst waiting for my nasi lemak to come, I saw the man eating his plate of nasi lemak and then half way through, offered the remaining portion to his wife. Similarly she did the same for the plain roti canai and offered her husband the balance whilst feeding the child with a bite sized portions of the roti canai.

Inside, I went like, "Oh oh, this is not right!" There I was having ONE paper tosai to myself, and ONE plate of nasi lemak to boot, then at the other table, the family of three were sharing their portions. BUT in my defence, paper dosai is supposed to be like a light snack, right?

Ok, ok. It was supposed to be only breakfast, but I ended up having extra helpings and considered that as my lunch as well. So there! Brunch it is!!!

But seriously, when I think about it, am I generally eating too much?, or has the cost of living increased to the extent that some have to eat less and share among them. Maybe it is a good time for me to reflect on this. Perhaps I should cut down on my intake and save some money instead. But, it only cost me RM5 for the meal, and it is within my daily lunch budget!!! So how???

4 comments:

ml said...

so how? continue to eat lor! hahahaha :D

laymank said...

yea, you generally eating more than others. but why do you care?

Anonymous said...

Yeah lah.. and you eat a lot less... than me already... So, not too bad. Hahaha!

Alex said...

hi ml, ya, I continued eating, finished eating, and felt guilty afterwards, but I didn't have lunch after that! :)

Hey laymank, I don't generally eat more than others, sometimes I do, depends on the food, but not usually.

hi gina, not really. I noticed that you also don't eat much, but could cut "a bit" on the carbo! :P