Thursday, July 10, 2008

A little bit of something

A) About The Food

Been eating too much lately, and although I resolved to eat less, it gets harder and harder to do so. Been having one too many eating sessions. Just had dinner with my siblings at this outlet in Jaya 1, Petaling Jaya. My elder sis was raving about it, and true enough, the food was quite ok, but I had a slightly different verdict. Oh, pictures were taken with my handphone camera, not my usual digital camera, because I didn't have it with me (no I don't carry it around everywhere I go - not yet anyway!):

a) Nice charsiu and siew yuk, but a tad too oily and fatty for me.
b) Rice with pork lard. Err.. didn't quite like this one. Smelt funny.
c) Half a peking duck! Not bad...
d) Sweet and sour pork! Slightly different as they added strawberries. Not bad. Pass my general standard, but not my specific standard. A tad sweet for me.
e) Some veggie thingy, with the leafy part being deepfried I think to a certain crispiness. Again, a tad too oily for me. I think the one in Pantai Seafood is better.
f) Duck in mango something or rather. Quite ok, but too creamy. Preferred if the inside was a tad drier.
g) Durian deepfried pancake. Nice durian, and can literally smell the durian across the whole restaurant as they were preparing the dish. Not bad, one of the better food I tasted at the restaurant. But, I think the Mandarin Oriental's Durian pancake is better, cold creamy with lots of melt in your mouth yummy durian!
h) Had to take another shot of it, you can see in the middle bottom photo, the durian filled deepfried pancake.
i) Incidentally, was told that this is an Indonesian chain, and is very popular over there.

Overall verdict? Ok, but almost everything was too oily for my taste. Heard they also charge a mega bomb for the fishes, crabs, etc. These items had no price tags, so best to ask before ordering.

Surprisingly, they have a lot of eateries over at Jaya 1, with more stores yet to open. I guess they are trying to make the place a very happening venue for hanging out, etc.


B) About The Places

Saw the first picture when I was walking at the beach front in Penang last month, and yes, again, taken with my trusty handphone camera. Travelled up there for work and had to stay overnight. Was walking around, and I chanced upon the scenery. Incidentally, certain places in Penang have been granted a World Heritage status thingy. Read about it in the papers today, but didn't read fully as I was already later than my usual self when reaching the office.

The second picture I took when I was walking back to the car park after having dinner today. Thought the colours were real nice, but again, didn't have my digital camera to do it much justice. However, my friends say it is not the camera, but the photographer. Personally, I think it is both... what do you reckon?


C) About The Words

I learnt a two new words this week:

a) Vacillation - Was reading a market writeup done by a colleague, and came across this word. Had to look up my dictionary for it. Hahahaa, see? never too old to learn new words. :)
b) Phitt - Now this one is tricky. Not in English though, but in Cantonese. After some consultation, I found out that it means, "I am out of here" if used as in "I Phitt". Specific context used was "I phitt first ah!". Apparently, used in a casual setting, but you know'lah. Me, being a banana, have never heard of that word before. As I was walking to someplace and my mind was on something else, when I heard that phrase said to me, and my brain didn't process the phrase carefully, I turned around and said out loud "What? You Pee-ed? No need to tell me! You went to the toilet, and want to go again, just go!". Not sure who was more embarrassed, but then, I have the excuse of being a banana and only speak the "half past six" type of chinese!...

Will wonders never cease, I learn something new everyday! :P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah.. I believe you... I am very cin cai one. I am not fussy! The statement is a "tad" overused liao. Haha!

Another version of "phitt" is dumping someone.

"Who phitt who?" Meaning, who dumped who?

Alex said...

hi gina,
Ahso!! Like that one ah..... :)
thanks