Saturday, July 12, 2008

Learning my music

Am learning this Arietta at the moment by Beethoven, "In Questa Tomba Oscura", literally translated to mean, "In this dark tomb". My music sheet starts with an E flat, but goodness me, Pavarotti starts with an A flat, which is FIVE semitones higher! Truth be told, E flat is kind of low for a tenor, but it achieves that dark sound if chest voice is used (what? a tenor impersonating a baritone?? Crikey! The mere suggestion itself - horror!). Maybe for myself, somewhere in between for now. The difficult bit is not the notes, but the interpretation or feel to the entire song, and Pavarotti sang it so wonderfully. I think I have to be more passionate vocally, and let the voice caress the soul... alas, not there yet. One day, one day...



Italian text
Lyrics: Giuseppe Carpani (1752-1825).

In questa tomba oscura
Lasciami riposar;
Quando vivevo, ingrata,
Dovevi a me pensar.

Lascia che l’ombre ignude
Godansi pace almen
E non, e non bagnar mie ceneri
D’inutile velen.

Taken from here:
The tone of Beethoven's In Questa Tomba Oscura, WoO133, a setting of an Italian text by Carpani, is set by the piano's grave, steady accompaniment and the uncomplicated vocal lines.

For most of the song, an atmosphere of meditation and resignation predominates; moments of dramatic bitterness and anger, however, create a sense of ambiguity.

"In this dark tomb, let me repose. While I loved, ingrate, you should have thought of me." The vocal line moves upward on "Let my bare shadow enjoy its peace at least " and deepens with bitterness on the words, "And do not, do not bathe my ashes with futile poison!" Calmness settles in; after a repetition of the first two lines, the voice drops dramatically, twice repeating "Ingrate."

The song ends with an ominous, rumbling chord.

2 comments:

Elaine Gaye said...

Are you learning this for a recital, for the pure joy of singing or both? When I get home I'll have to look up Pavarotti's recording, as I'm not familiar with it. I think you're capable of expressing passion vocally. When you sang Phantom numbers (a duet with Kaoru?), your voice definitely caressed the souls of those who heard you.

Alex said...

hi elaine, learning for my lesson to improve vocally as well as expressively. Am sure my vocal teacher would like me to perform, but no, rather not... :P

wah, that's so long ago. Now older, more jaded... voice more likely to grate on ppl! LOL!!!