Friday, November 10, 2006

Of one advertisement and/or congratulatory note

Came across an advertisement in the newspaper today, and it reminded me of some conversations I had with my cousins over this same topic. APPARENTLY, the practice of advertising congratulatory notes is not as prevalent in West Malaysia as it is in East Malaysia. Of course, we usually do see the “Thank You” notes to this minister or that minister for officiating this and that, or the congratulatory notes for some persons being conferred certain awards by the Agung, etc.

However, correct me if I am wrong, but one which advertises a wedding or engagement is hardly seen here in West Malaysia. So, this particular one which came up really caught my eye (incidentally, congrats to the couple – but no, I do not know them).

In East Malaysia (well, Sarawak at least anyway – not sure about Sabah), there would be at least one such congratulatory message in the newspapers on a daily basis. It is also not limited to events of engagements or marriages, but also to individuals successfully completing their degrees and what nots. Who advertises? Well, usually it is the family members or friends of the family members, or even companies with some degree of affiliation.

WHY? WHY? Perhaps it is due to the feeling of oneness or “family” within the Sarawakian community. After all, it is a great achievement, why downplay it? Shout to the whole world the family’s joy and happiness over the event. So, why not? And you know something? The language which is used to say “YOU” in one of the local dialect is “KITA”, which in Malay means “US”. Incidentally, it is pronounced as “Kita(k)” and not the more common softer ending “ah”. See? Even in conversations in the local dialect, there is a sense of oneness by addressing “You” as “Us”. And in case you are thinking that Sarawakians are one confused lot, you would be very, very far from being correct.

If you are also thinking of venturing to Sarawak, and still imagine that Sarawakians predominantly live in trees, well, I can’t say much for your ignorance (actually, I can, but may be a mite too rude! :P). But if you REALLY do venture to Sarawak, you will note that the people there are friendlier, with more smiles going around (not the raised eyebrow type of smiles mind you – but probably got also’lah!). :)

And in case you have not gathered, Yep! I was born and raised in Sarawak (although sometimes I consider myself a “foreigner” in Sarawak considering that I have been to more places in West Malaysia than in East Malaysia – and true enough, a friend I know in Sarawak will perpetually rib me about this - and say the only Sarawakian thing about me is my IC number and possibly also my car licence plate under the registration "Q").

My advertisement? :) Yeah! I did have my own published congratulatory note quite a while back, and No!, it wasn’t for the Holy Matrimony type! but instead, my picture and some congratulatory notes were plastered over the newspapers when I completed my studies… (SHY – blush!). :P

5 comments:

laymank said...

You (or your family) got potong it out for future safe keeping ah?

Alex said...

My family got! :) shy already! :P

Anonymous said...

Wah, what a good way to announce a marriage. You probably don't have to send individual invitation. Save on stamps and trees. Hehe!

Unknown said...

Why no body do the same in KL ah?

Alex said...

Hey Gina, unfortunately still not saving on stamps and trees I think. From what I know, personal invites still go out oh...

Hey Trisha, I guess got also, but very seldom seen. How often do you see it advertised like this in KL? (unless I am reading the "wrong" newspaper)...