Monday, November 06, 2006

Of "fishy" things to believe or not to believe

As one gets older, I guess the grey matter sorts of slowly deteriorates and one sort of "forget" stuffs. But even at my age, although some may consider me "in another category", as I am usually referred to as "uncle" as opposed to "koko" when I meet parents with little kids nowadays, I feel that as long as one is young at heart, one is still young! So, whether to believe or not to believe age or perception of age is purely a matter of opinion. :)

Was at a pet shop earlier today in Pandan Indah after lunch, and looking at certain animals and fishes made me think for a bit:








People say that persons of larger proportions should go swimming, as they float easier. Somehow, looking at these fishes made me question whether that statement is indeed true or not. Have always disregarded this particular statement, as I would usually perceive my friends as trying to be funny. It's like saying that you should eat more fish so you can swim better. But looking at these beautiful, but larger than normal around the girth type fishes, it made me think how graceful and peaceful they look. Should I take up swimming? Sigh, not yet I guess, I would probably sink like a rock.

Have you ever wondered if fishes drown? or heard of fishes performing their own version of hara kiri? :)

I guess there are so many other "fishy" stories (both in the literal and not literal sense), but sometimes I do wonder whether there is some grain of truth in them.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Er...maybe some grains of them are true. Elephants can swim.

laymank said...

the tiny little ant can't swim... ;p

anyway, let's swim! it's been long since i last swam.

Alex said...

Hi Trisha, elephants can swim? Yeah! I think I saw a documentary on elephants once, and they showed them swimming (I think!) :) Have you ever wondered why baby birds can just fly or baby tortoises can swim? How come no need to teach?

Hi laymank, as for ants, I think so too. That's why whenever we have a jar of something sweet or similar, we place it in the middle of a bowl and put water around so that ants can't get to it. But still, the little ingenious buggers can form little "ant bridges" to cross the so called moat! Very pandai oh!

Anonymous said...

Got worr.. the fish in my house drown, it's stomach suddenly bloated and it died.

Anyway, what is an old man doing in a fish shop? When I saw the gold fish, the words "Kam Yue Lou" appear in my mind. Hahahahaha.

Alex said...

hi gina, what? the fish drowned? did you press the bloated fish's stomach to see if it was full of air or full of water? :P