Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Travellings

Been quite tired out recently, travelling does take its toll on my old bones. Yeah, it is always nice to travel, but sometimes, dashing here and there, getting up before sunrise to catch a cab to the airport, do tire one out.

After reporting for work last Thursday after the China trip, was informed by my boss that I am supposed to attend a seminar as well as do some "quiet" site-seeing (yep, not sight but "site") over in East Malaysia. Wow, talk about not travelling for a long period, and when travelling period comes, it's all cramped up during a short period. The trip was ok, fully paid for by the way, with a bit of sightseeing and shopping thrown in. More like a mini holiday cum work. The resort itself was beautiful, and the sunset was very nice.

I missed a glorious sunset, and only caught a glimpse as I was rushing to my room to get ready for the next event on the first day. Incidentally, because of the "silky" shimmering reflection of the setting sun on the face of the sea, the place is called "Sutera Harbour".

The first day was a bit of networking while sightseeing, shopping, and "jalan-jalan". Later, had dinner at the one and only revolving restaurant in the city (but actually situated slightly out from the main centre). The restaurant revolved quite fast actually, and gave me a slight headache as I was sitting backwards. Have been to the KL tower one, which was barely noticeable in terms of the turn, but this was definitely felt. For the night view, perhaps the city was not as developed, so no major lights could be seen, but for a few golf courses, and specks of lights in and between the night view. The food was of the fine dining portion (set meal with "or" as opposed to "and"), and took a while to be prepared. I think some of the larger sized blokes went for supper after that! Yeah, there was a pit stop at Shenanigans as well as Cocoon for some - and who knows where else, but I opted for an early night (when we got back to the hotel, it was past 10pm already).

Second day, duty called, and attended 3 different talks and a "thanking" event involving the higher echelon of society (the Chief Minister was at the function, datuk-datuks, datin-datins, etc). Could see the bodyguards with dark glasses, etc. Me? I was merely there at the event, sitting quietly as an insignificant spectator, politely clapping as and when required. Phew, luckily the event lasted about 45 minutes with speeches etc. It was "educational" though, the talks I mean! All in all, it was a tiring trip, but served as a good break from office routine.

6 comments:

laymank said...

I think I was at Shenanigans during my last KK trip after descended from Mt Kinabalu, with blister spread over the soles of my feet.

Claimed to be the most happening places in town wor... I think KL's is much better! But still it's good experience to get a feel of other state's best 'practice'. :)

Alex said...

Hey laymank. Was it fun at Shenanigans? Think it is quite an "in" place, but unfortunately I wasn't up to it. Too tired out from all the travelling and early mornings. Was it fun? Guess it would depend on the crowd, huh? :)

Mt. Kinabalu? Wow... one day.. one day..

laymank said...

yep, and the people that you are going with makes a whole world of different!

Zalina Lee said...

Oo the Magellan...must re-visit. Cut myself badly in the main pool though. Euch...

Alex said...

Hey aari, nice place. definitely must go again. What you do to cut yourself "badly"? Took pics of the room too! Will post it sometime...

Anonymous said...

Yeap is the most happening pub in town. Was trained to drink by my ex-colleagues there. Hmmm