Sunday, July 30, 2006

Of things that go “bump” in the night

Horror films are not my cup of tea, but sat through one last Saturday. It is a 2004 Thai based film called “Shutter”, where a young couple accidentally hits someone whilst driving, and sped away. The question is, can you escape the past? The story unfolds with past secrets coming back to “haunt” them, literally. The guy is a photographer, and he begins to note “things” in the pictures he takes.

I think the movie had some “borrowed” moments from other horror shows, but is creepy enough at certain parts. There were a few scenes in the middle of the show which scared me a bit, but the ending almost totally freaked me out. Unexpected and unnerving to the core (to me anyway). Go get the DVD or VCD for Shutter. I think it is worth a watch, particularly for the ending.

From this show, it compounded my past fears of horror movies, and listing them down also sends chills down my spine:

1. Sleeping, whilst something stares malevolently at you.
2. Something creeps from under the bed towards you.
3. Use of a knife to self-inflict cuts with blood dripping all over, but oblivious to the pain.
4. Standing in the lift facing the lift button, with something looking at you from your back.
5. Something hanging from the ceiling watching you (brrrrrr)…

Number 4 and 5 are my worst fears at the moment. Don’t know why, but extremely nervous and totally freaked out by scenes like that. Should I pyscho analyse myself? :(

How do I overcome my fears, I say prayers usually, recited like a mantra. Yes, I know, I am such a scardy-cat for a grown up, but I don’t take things like these lightly.

What sends chills down your spine?

5 comments:

laymank said...

Hahahah! why bother to inflict yourself with fear when you know you will live to hallucinate them later?

go aatch a romance movie and these fears will be lessen.. hahaha!

Alex said...

Hey, not so hallucinate, would just think about it, and make my senses hyper.

Romance? Good idea, but usually no kick. Have seen a couple, but very predictable. Some are good though. Catch "10 things I hate about you" - that's pretty good.

Would prefer an adventure movie, especially good sci-fi ones! Like X-men!!! YAY!!!

Gina said...

I can never watch horror movie without being sleepless for a few days after that.. the worse thing is.. I still want to watch.. haha! Some people said - I "loh lei jin".

laymank said...

hey, maybe one fine day we could 'loh lei jin' together!

Anonymous said...

Horror movies is like a form of nerves exercise for me I guess... The creep part of it will make u jump out of nowhere with a heart pounding up and down... Haha "loh lei jin" is the after effect thing that haunted U at night with the fresh images of all the blood and knife slash etc. Eeeee... After 1 to 2, all forgotten & recovered and there goes another horror season... :)