Thursday, January 01, 2009

A sojourn down south

As the dawn of a new year approached, we headed to Singapore after a one day rest back in KL from the Penang trip. This time instead of driving down, we took the express coach which was cheaper than catching a flight and reasonably comfortable. Went for a short family holiday, visiting both the paternal and maternal relatives as well as doing some shopping in various places.

Singapore, being such a cosmopolitan city, was bedecked with Christmas lights and Christmas decorations, particularly along the ever busy Orchard Road. One wouldn't guess that Singapore was in a recession with the amount of shoppers bargain hunting for that ever perfect pair of shoes and other what nots, but my guess is that most are tourists as opposed to locals.

Now something about the marketing aspect to target shoppers to Spend! Spend! Spend! For example, buy a pair of promotional jeans for S$33, but better buy THREE for only S$60! Now, I was in a dilemma. I wanted only one pair and it will cost me S$33! but I can average down by getting another two pairs of the same design in different colours for CHEAPER!!! I was shopping with my dad, and he said he doesn't need a new pair of jeans! So, I couldn't flog one off to him. HOW?!? What would you have done? In the end, after much internal deliberation, I opted to pay the "extra" and only spend S$33 as opposed to S$60 for two other pair of pants which I didn't need. I can tell you that such marketing gimic is rampant. At another shop, buy one item at a promotional price. Buy two items, get 20% off both items, but buy THREE items, get 40% off all three items! HOW?!? How not to spend like that?

And as the countdown began, the hotel provided free flow of drinks, but I stayed in the hotel room. Couldn't watch the fireworks except on TV, as the hotel room faced west of Orchard Road whilst the city was lit at the Marina Bay. Still, looking out the hotel room window, many thronged the streets with good cheer and jubilation, and reveled the night away. Some had to answer the call of duty, with cops seen patrolling the area to minimise untoward incidents and doing some form of crowd and traffic control.

As dawn broke, and shops opened anew, Chinese New Year music began filling the air, advertising Lunar New Year sales!!! Buy one, FREE one!!! Sigh, there goes the hardearned money!!! I guess shop keepers and retailers only have about 3 weeks and a bit before the onset of the lunar celebration, and so, are pushing sales geared for the coming festivities.

Through all the travelling up north to Penang, and then to Singapore and back, I finally found time to finish two of my outstanding novels by L.E. Modesitt Jr, "Natural Ordermage" and "Mage-Guard of Hamor". Brilliant 14th and 15th books of the Saga of Recluse! Can't wait for more!!! :)

So, after all that, here's to wishing one and all a Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Elaine Gaye said...

Happy 2009, Alex :)

laymank said...

I was initially quite impressed that you could resist 'buying what is cheap' against 'buying what you need'. But then the later part you sighed of hard earned money going away, I supposed you fell for it in the end... ?

Anonymous said...

Hi Elaine, Happy 2009 to you too! :)

Hey laymank, no oh. I resisted! Only bought one pair of jeans instead of three! :) but, I bought other things also...