Friday, January 30, 2009

Of Chinese New Year this and that - Part 1

Back in my hometown with intermittent rainfall, far away from the clamours of city life, things slow down considerably. Meals are earlier, and by 6pm, what’s left to do but catch the various TV series on Astro. So, thank goodness for Astro! :) Last time, was renting those various mini series on video tape. And amazingly so, each series can last for like 100 over episodes.

So, for this new year, my parents' house hosted the reunion dinner (there's a rotation system). Family members gathered from near and far, renewing ties, though some "undercurrents" are noticed if one knows what to look out for, common I guess for such big families, especially when business gets in the way. Yet, the young ones are oblivious to such happenings, and hopefully remain so to build the next generation to come.

Fireworks aplenty, even before midnight. The reverberating echo of the PUMs and PAMs, I am sure, frightened many a dogs in the neighbourhood.

Food aplenty, but sometimes only get to taste like once a year. My grandaunty also makes a mean "drunken chicken", and the famous peanut "kuih" which I particularly like, and even get to tapau! :)

A younger cousin mentioned that he looked forward to visiting my parents, because my mum makes good chicken rice. And looking at his plate, the emphasis is really on the RICE. My mum didn't make much cookies and cakes this year, but got up extra early (like midnight) to prepare stuff, and even baked a wonderful butter cake!!!

So yes, since coming back, my pants definitely feel tighter, but am controlling my intake somewhat this year. Rationing how many cookies and keropoks I eat during the day. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like I said.. real men don't go on diet. LOL!!!

Gong xi fa cai! I see you get your annual peanut kueh again. Why don't you learn from your aunty to bake? so you can bake for us mah!

Anonymous said...

apparently, there's kungfu involved in the folding or making of the dough. can tell difference one! :P