Monday, July 16, 2007

Of one "Gon" and another

Was bumming around the common area earlier with my colleagues, and somehow, the subject of polygons came about.

Incidentally, we see a lot of "gons" in our daily life, yet I wonder how observant we really we. So what do you call the shape of your computer screen which you are staring at right now? Square? Rectangle? Actually, it is a quadrilateral or tetragon!

Well, I seem to be a hopeless case on this. The only "gons" I seem to remember is the "octagon" because I could relate it to the "octave" of a music scale. As for six sides, my first guess was sextagon! LOL!!! How wrong could I be.

Hexagon? err... sure, I have heard of it, but ask me to confidently say how many sides does a hexagon have, I would hesitate and need to think a bit. Been a while already since I have to think of "gons". Incidentally, it has six sides, which is the correct answer as opposed to sextagon. :P

Between my colleagues and myself, we managed to sort out the various "gons" until 10, but stumbled a bit on 9. I originally guessed "nanogon", but it was actually "nonagon". Close enough!
My other guesses for a one sided polygon was "unagon". Hahahaaaa...

Incidentally, a 1,000 sided polygon is called a "chiliagon". For a typical chinese guy speaking with a chinese accent (especially the Hokkien clans), no doubt it will sound like a swear word. One of my colleagues also asked, "So? How many sides does "Aragorn" have?" LOL!!!

So, without looking at references, do you know your various "gons"?!? At least from 1 to 10?!? :P

3 comments:

laymank said...

hmm.. good question!

I only know of the terms, hexagon, pentagon, octagon, that too, was what I picked up during school Chemistry subject.

:)

Anonymous said...

Seven is what ah? Septagon?

Aragorn is funny! Hahahah!

Sharon Cecilia said...

Heptagon for seven, I think