Friday, July 06, 2007

How thick is your mindset

Came across this saying:

Some minds are like concrete, thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

and it strucked me how true this is. Especially at work, some people appear to hear what is being said, but do not actually LISTEN. I wonder if these people just "tune off" after saying their piece and daydream when others are talking, or just appears to artificially agree by saying "exactly", and then don't bother at all.

I guess having the right attitude (or not) plays a big part. Wonder if it comes from "conditioning" as a child... hmmm...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my mind is made of concrete also... hahaha. I seemed to tell what's in my mind, then switch off when other people speak, but most of the time, I DONT AGREE with ppl because I feel I AM ALWAYS RIGHT. I am terrible, I know. It's not conditioning.. I think more toward genetics. My dad is one obstinate cow. Hahahah.

laymank said...

The Lord said before,

"Let those who have eyes, see and ears, hear"

That goes to show that not every hearing person can hear...

Now only you realize this?

eddY said...

when i read ur post on this, it struck me. coz one of the key things i learned previously from my training was empathic listening. "Listening and responding with both the heart and mind to understand the speaker's words, intent, and feelings."

i guess most of us are unaware of this. esp me, myself but i did came across some people who are worst case scenario. either ignoring or pretend listening. the next time i ask them, they will ask me back. hmmm... not so effective liao...