Monday, October 17, 2005

Seven Swords and books

Saw 7 swords ("7S") over the weekend, together with The Myth ("TM"). Didn't really like TM, some parts were enjoyable but on the whole, something was lacking. Can't quite put my finger to it.

For 7S, I liked it. However, thought the character developments were lacking for the other 3 swordsmen. The elder two had their story mentioned, but the younger 3 did not. The way it ended, probably paved the way for a sequel. Good fighting scene towards the end. Can't wait for the next instalment! :) I have never read the book or don't know the story, so my appreciation may be lacking. May try to hunt if there is an English translation for the story sometime.

Somehow for movies, these kind of "settings", Chinese historical or Medieval has some appeal to me. For reading, I especially like Science Fiction, but more towards the fantasy genre as opposed to the futuristic.

I started off reading SciFi when I was in Uni. Was browsing through some second hand books in a town called Cottingham (Hull), and the very first book I picked up was Dragon Flight by Anne McCaffrey. From there, I read almost all the Dragon series (except for the newer ones) and her other futuristic series. Picked up Tolkien's Lord of the Rings then, in 1991, and was further hooked. Also read "The Foundation" series by Isaac Asimov (very good!).

My favourite writer to date is David Gemmell (he writes predominantly on sword and sorcery). Just bought "Lord of the Silver Bow", but haven't had a chance to read it. I have read all his books and am collecting them. However, not a keen fan of the Jon Shannow series. Other writers I enjoy are Raymond E. Feist and L.E. Modesitt Jr.

Also enjoy books by:
RA Salvatore (some are good, others so so), Terry Brooks (esp like the Shannara series), Jenny Wurts, and Melanie Rawn.

Used to like David Eddings, but somehow, the writing style pales in comparison. Eddings attempts to include humour in his books, esp for the newer series, but somehow, it just doesn't work. I get bored quite quickly with his books now.

Have also read others, but not as spectacular as David Gemmell ("DG"). Somehow, although DG's storyline is tried and tested - and yes, may be similar for the different series written, it's somehow still very captivating. His first book I have ever read was "Legend", but my favourite character is still Tenaka Khan in the Drenai series! The BEST!

I usually go "hunting" for new books during sales in MPH, as I buy and keep like a collection. Now, have too many books already, don't know where to store them. Wanted to get a proper book shelve, but no place to put. Keeping them in smaller shelves as well as covered containers at the moment, but have not thought of long term plans for storing. I guess will have to do so sometime......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

aj,

that is translated version of 7S in English, but 2 English Version of "Jin Yong"'s works are available online/in the market (not in Malaysia).

1. The Book and The Sword http://www.huola.com/wxxs/j/jingyong/sjee/index.html

2. SWORD OF THE YUEH MAIDEN http://www.huola.com/wxxs/j/jingyong/jyfw/001.htm

I like both...

if u like it dl it , then read slowly...

Anonymous said...

aj...

err..that is no translated version of 7S

Anonymous said...

that is no translated version of 7S
error by me...hehe

OPJ

Anonymous said...

thanks! will check the links out sometime.