Sunday, May 10, 2009

Time and ages pass

You know, everytime I "balik kampung" (direct translation = return village) or go back to my hometown, I feel reluctant to leave. It's not so much the good things we have here, the food, the laundry being automatically done, the peace and quiet, but more so the time spent with family (especially parents).

Have you noticed the age lines etched on their face as they sleep, the ever increasing tiredness with each task performed, the joy and happiness when they get a call from a loved one, and the love shared between husband and wife. It is a treasure to behold indeed, and what more with a grandchild! Pictures and videos in this modern age has transcended boundaries, and made the ever far distance that much nearer.

As I sit here at the airport waiting for my flight, I think back and can't help but feel that the week has passed by ever so quickly. So for those of you who have your parents at home or nearby, don't wait too long. Go chit-chat, go spend some time, no matter how brief, and enjoy those precious moments.

4 comments:

Elaine Gaye said...

I completely agree. That's the main reason I left Birmingham 3 years ago to move to Suffolk, where my parents are. I see them most weekends and they grow ever more precious to me. Thank you also for the Snoopy & Woodstock pic :D

PS (Have you seen Star Trek yet?)

gina said...

"...he love shared between husband and wife. It is a treasure to behold indeed, and what more with a grandchild!"

Your biological clock is ticking away? LOL

SL said...

Felt the same too. Sigh...I was hoping that the flight will get delayed for at least one day.

Parents really miss our presence at home. So, must go home more often.

laymank said...

Yes... totally agree.. .which is what I am trying to do...