Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Oppressive Heat!

Not sure if it is a spell of heat wave or not, but it is VERY HOT!!!

Am at the moment back in Sarawak, and yes, Sarawak is nearer to the Equator, which supposedly makes it consistently nearer to the sun (and thereby hotter) as the earth turns on its axis. My hometown, Serian, situated inland, although on higher ground, is actually situated that much closer to the Equator. Hot! Hot! Hot!

I wonder where we are on the chart now on the relative humidity and temperature scale. Some countries may have the heat, but don't have the humidity. Just standing for a while in a non-airconditioned room or in a non-fan circulating room, will make one sweat quite a bit, with the skin feeling sticky. That's humidity for you!!! I can't imagine those who work as labourers in this oppresive heat.

Was just speaking to a relative yesterday, and he said that up north, one glacier the size of Singapore has split and is melting. That shows how the global warming and heat is affecting everyone. To be honest, I don't know much about global warming except what I read, but I can certainly feel its effects.

Incidentally, now that I am back in Sarawak, it gets darker earlier here, due to the island being situated much to the East. As a matter of fact, I remember there was a time so many years ago when the time zone was different. Sarawak was one hour ahead of West Malaysia, with a subsequent adjustment made to the time zone in West Malaysia and Singapore to be in line with Sarawak.

And another incident made me pause a while, when during dinner one day with a group of 3 girls, one commented that the sunset was spectacular. When I commented the same, and that I viewed it from the PJ skyline, the girls were saying, nope, theirs was from the Batu Caves area. And being typical me, I blurted out something like this:

Alex: No matter where you are, it's the same skyline no?
G2: Yes, but Batu Caves nicer.
Alex: Sure, but the sun sets towards PJ side.

And then, I got a puzzled look. I wasn't sure if the girls were making fun of me, but reasoning was that PJ is towards the West of Batu Caves, hence with the sun rising in the East and setting in the West, the PJ skyline view would be amazing.

As a matter of fact, I have paused a couple of times to just take in the moment of sunset. Perhaps one day I should simply go to the pool side area of the higher blocks of the Condo I am staying to just simply enjoy the view.

3 comments:

G2 said...

you go to pool not to swim one ah? LOL!

Alex said...

Hi G2, pool? Got pool meh? Not in my hometown, more like a mini pond with fishes. And no, not condusive to be swimming with the fishes at home. :)

gina said...

You said condo mah... i tot you said pool side area?