Sunday, November 30, 2008

Of one shirt and another

Did you know, that a bow tie could be worned with a regular laydown collar shirt? I have always thought that it had to be worn with a wing tipped collar shirt, and was surprised that it is possible. Thought I made a major fashion faux pas during my company's centennial dinner. Some came dressed to the nines with various blings, others were seen dressed more formally, and some looked down right smart. Most females had their hair done in various styles, some even hired external makeup artists. Sometimes I wonder why, but I think females love such occassion to dress up.

Yeah, after having a "black tie" function in August, never thought that there would be another black tie function in November. Though at that time, I wore a suit and a nice tie for the event. Technically, for a black tie event, a tuxedo is a must, with a cummerband or vest. This time round, I wore my bow tie, but chose to wear a normal white shirt (I seldom wear white, and have only one pure white working shirt). Also, no tux, but my regular suit. Yeah, none too conforming, but hey, it has been a very long time since I wore my wing tipped shirt (more than 7 years ago!), and the colour has sort of turned a bit yellowish since I didn't take care of the shirt properly (another reason why I very seldom wear white shirts). On the whole, looked decent enough, but was very conscious of the non conforming white shirt (i.e. non wing tipped). But after doing a bit of research now, am glad it is ok also. Personally, I think a wing tipped shirt would look better, but didn't fancy splurging on a white wing tipped shirt which I will hardly ever wear, with a fitting cummerband and a tux. Oh! I wore my camel active boots too instead of a pair of leather shoes! but it looked decent enough as a black pair of shoes.

At least I have my bow tie, right? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must be black color bow tie? I was walking about Mid Valley on Saturday and saw this really nice polka dot bow tie. Haha!

Anonymous said...

hi gina, not necessarily I guess. but the formality of it all counts.