Monday, September 08, 2008

Of one book and another

Got this meme from absolutginger last month, and only now I am attending to it. Actually, been meaning to post more often, but at times, totally no inspiration to write. Sometimes, totally tired out from the day and have to be in the right frame of mind, otherwise will be bitching away. Still, now seems to be a good time. :)

Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
Yes actually, it was when I walked along one of the streets when I was studying abroad (initially thought it was in Cottingham (in Humberside), but come to think of it, I think it was earlier when I was still in Dover), browsing the various shops that I first picked up a book by Anne McCaffrey, entitled "Dragonflight". And this is the very cover (publication by Corgi) of the book that I bought second hand. It cost me 80 pence! At that time the exchange rate was about RM3.50 or so to the British Pound. And yes, I still have the book! It opened my eyes to a whole new realm of fantasy with dragons and magic, and later, the magical world of sword and sorcery!

What are some books you read as a child?
As a child, my parents encouraged me to read, and I read collections of various rhymes, Aesop's Fables, Enid Blyton (but somehow, don't remember much of this, guess it didn't make an impact on me), fairy tales (the likes of sleeping beauty, snow white, etc). And would you believe it, Archie's comics as well as other comics like Green Lantern, Batman, Spiderman, etc.

Oh!! oh!! Once a while, my mum would bring us to Kuching to India street, and there I would get my dose of Beano Annuals, Beezer Annnuals, and such! I think I still have some of these old collection back in Sarawak, dating back to the early 1980s.

What is your favourite genre?
It varies. I used to read trashy novels like, ahem.. "Chances", "Lucky", etc, and got on the bandwagon of Sidney Sheldon and Jeffrey Archer. Actually, some of these are still very good. However, my favourite genre is undoubtedly Fantasy! It is simply, the BEST!

Oh, incidentally, I like comic books as well, but I tend to read the collection types rather than wait for single releases. But then again, this is also partly fantasy, no?

Do you have a favourite novel?
No real favourite novel, but one which made an impression on me was "Legends" by David Gemmell. I guess if I have to say a favourite, it will be this. It brought everything to life, the characters, the story! My oh my, the essence of humanity, triumphant against all odds. The thing I remember most of it was the gates, and how as each gates fell (and each had a name!), the odds for survival diminished, yet the strength to persevere and fight to the very end made me cling to the very pages through various sleepness nights unable to let go. It was that good for me.

Where do you usually read?
Usually in bed, or on the sofa on a day when I just want to chill. Sometimes at a coffee joint waiting for friends who may be late.

When do you usually read?
I usually read before I nod off for the day (sometimes just a page or two), or when I am travelling. At times, it is nice just to have a relaxing day in during the holidays just to read, and before you know it, the day is gone.

Funny stories abound when I travel with friends and we all crash into one room. I would like read a page or two, conked out, snore here and there, wake up, read another page or two, and repeat the cycle.

Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
Oh yes. I have a stack of books waiting for me to read. And I am currently reading these at the same time. More focused on Steven Erikson's Reaper's Gale though.














Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
Seldom read nonfiction. I used to be hooked on war stories when I was studying history. By my own interest, I saw pictures and read stories of the Vietnam War, The Last Emperor of China, etc. So during the trip to Ho Chi Minh City, an afternoon sojourn to the CuChi tunnels was indeed an eye opener, and brought many further insights to the stories I read. Crawling through a small section of the tunnels (widened for tourists), was enough to give me heart palpitations amidst a mild case of claustrophobia. Mind you, I am normally ok in confined places, but it was an experience indeed. I shudder to think of a whole city underground with a whole network of tunnels for warfare. Other than that, to be honest, not really my cup of tea.

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
When was studying, I bought some books second hand (cheap! cheap!) through the various car boot sales and the likes, and borrowed others from the library. Books were expensive, especially on a student budget.

Then when I began working, expenses piled up, so still couldn't affor to buy the books, so I rented some from the shops providing such business. Somehow, I have never been to the national library in Kuala Lumpur. Perhaps one day.

Nowadays, with the government's drive to inculcate a reading habit, book purchases have been given certain tax allowance. So, I buy them nowadays and claim to the max to reduce my taxes. Incidentally, comic book purchases are also tax deductible! :P

Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them?
Yes,
I keep the books I buy, and have two book cabinets already. Some of my books go missing, having been borrowed by friends or relatives and somehow, forgotten to be returned.

If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child?
Now that is a big "If" considering my current singlehood status. But if I have children, I would share with them the various nursery rhymes, fairy tales, as well as the fables. So, yes, it would be the same ones I read as a child.

Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
I don't have a TBR list per se, but do have a stack of books waiting to be read. I tend to buy the books during sales and keep them aside pending my mood to read.


What’s next?
Well, some friends lent me Eoin Colfer's "Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony" as well as Haruki Murakami's "Norwegian Wood" which I have yet to read. I have read some of Eoin Colfer's works pertaining to Artemis Fowl which are quite interesting, but for these two, having gotten round to them yet in terms of priority to read.

What books would you like to reread?
At the moment, none as I have so many pending reading. But have reread most of David Gemmell's books and some of L.E. Modesitt Jr's books. Yeah, I have almost all of David Gemmell's books, and most of L.E. Modesitt Jr's fantasy books (he also writes SciFi).


Who are your favourite authors?
Undoubtedly David Gemmell tops the list with his Drenai Saga, but with his demise in 2006, the fantasy world lost a fantastic story teller. I also particularly like L.E. Modesitt Jr (his Recluce Saga is brilliant - I have the whole series! amongst some other of his books), Raymond E. Feist, and lately Steven Erikson.

Others I read include, Anne McCaffrey, R.A. Salvatore, Trudi Canavan, Robin Hobb, Terry Brooks, Janny Wurts, Lian Hearn, and quite a few others.


Pheww! So, what books do you read? :)

3 comments:

Elaine Gaye said...

To answer your last question first, as you may remember, I read most science fiction and fantasy (or as I prefer to describe the genre(s): speculative fiction). Did I tell you that Mum & I met Anne McAffrey at her home in County Wicklow, Ireland, in 1992? I also met David Gemmell (which I think I had mentioned before) at a science fiction convention in Birmingham. Both of them were lovely people.

I still haven't read most of Raymond E. Feist yet. A friend introduced me to Robin Hobb and George R. R. Martin. I preferred Martin to Hobb. I don't think I've read Modesitt Jr yet either. I'm intrigued by Salvatore but I've heard mixed things about Drizzt and the Dark Elves.

I don't think I knew that you read Enid Blyton growing up. I blame Enid Blyton for my having gone to boarding school. 8 year old Elaine I seriously thought that Malory Towers & St. Clare's were accurate descriptions of how boarding schools were in the early 1980s!

I miss you, my fellow fantasy reader.

Anonymous said...

I cannot even bypass the first page of any fantasy book. Perhaps I do not have imagination!

Wah.. so high class one ah? Read Aesop Fables some more.. I never heard of it till it came out from your mouth! HAHA!

Thanks for doing this. :D

Anonymous said...

Wow...that's a collection...

Didn't know that you read fairy tales too... Grimm's and Han Christian Andersen's fairy tales are very good...

I used to read a lot...But, after years of reading tons of case laws , I no longer have the patience to read but still try to...;). Must cultivate the habit.

More into research on health issues nowadays...