Saturday, September 13, 2008

Of one moon and another

A tale of immortality and revolution. Believe what you may, but in this modern society, the tradition is brought back to life via the plentiful mooncakes and lanterns which are aplenty during this period!

I recall an occassion so long ago, when I stayed over my grandaunty's place, and we were up late watching the moon and lighting some lanterns. Of course, back then, the lanterns we had were more traditional looking without some of the frills and shapes we find today.

I must say that most of us are so blessed to have received so many mooncakes, but sometimes the joy is in the sharing and eating, and of course also the giving! :) Had so many varieties, but my favourite remains the ever humble red bean mooncake (but then again, I also like the Yam mooncake without the yolk!). Simply yummy, although I must say there are some flavours out there which are simply divine. Think the best I had to date is from Shangs', in particular, the snow skin durian mooncake!!! What I find however, is that every year, prices of mooncakes simply escallate. In my line of work, truly blessed to have received quite a lot of boxes of mooncakes from various bankers which are duly shared.

I think I have eaten too many mooncakes already, but how to say "no" to the simply wonderful ones still waiting to be opened? Alas, destined never to lose weight....

psst - the two photos in this post were not taken by me, but nicked off the www.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. Very nice gesture to share some mooncakes! Thanks!

Happy Lantern Festival!