Monday, June 16, 2008

A mixed bag

Was back in my hometown over the weekend, and for those who generally display scenes of disbelief when I say there is such a thing as Tomato Kuay Teow, here is the proof. Slurpp!

And of course, the authentic Sarawak Laksa. Personally, I don't know what the craze is about for Sarawak laksa. True enough, the laksa sauce plays an integral part, but the real taste comes from the belacan me thinks.

The recent bak chang season is over, celebrated last weekend I reckon. Have tried numerous bak changs, and I like the nyonya type the best, not that I don't like the other types though. The blue thingy you see on the bak chang is not colouring, but an actual edible flower. Cool!

As for the more typical type of bak chang, well, I don't really like eating egg yolk, particularly if it is salted, and don't really fancy the dried shrimps (hay bee), and get put off "a bit" if the meat in the bak chang has so many layers of fat, so nyonya bak chang suits me best. And yes, I am not fussy, just particular in what I eat! :) And thank you to my friends who let me have a taste of their home made bak changs!

Saw this in the home compound area. My father is trying to grow pepper trees. My siblings asked:

Siblings: Is it white pepper or black pepper?
Father smilingly said: Black!

Get it? :P



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's actually both white and black pepper. It depends how you process it.

If you let it dry in the sun, it become black pepper.

If you soaked it, peel off the skin and let it dry, it become white pepper.

I'd tried it myself ;P

laymank said...

Is what sharon said something you want us to 'get' it?

Otherwise, I don't get it.

:)

Anonymous said...

Hahah.. I kena... so.. i am a mangkok! haha!