Sunday, June 01, 2008

College

Since the last time I posted about my old college, some of my old school mates have been reminiscing about old times, and the bunch in Hong Kong recently got together for a reunion. I was invited of course, but didn't make the trip over.

The recent facebook craze has indeed found old friends, and found old pictures of my college and the town of Dover. Will leave some pics taken from the photo archive created in facebook:

The upper picture shows the school chapel and school house, with the "close" (the green lawn) in front of it. That's where punishment is meted out by making the juniors run around the close. The bottom left shows the school's entrance, and towards the left side of the gate, you can just about see Leamington House, my boarding house where I stayed for a good four years.

This shows the school chapel where I sang as a member of the choir. It's an Anglican Church, with beautiful Anglican music in four parts. I fondly remember the various Christmas services towards the end of Michaelmas term. Oh, the chapel has a pipe organ too! The bottom picture is the living quarters of the senior members of Leamington House (6th formers) situated at the back of the main Leamington House. The white looking room (bottom right picture) is a special classroom for foreign students whose English was the second language. Intensive English classes to brush up the linguistic skills.

The top picture is the Dover waterfront. Alas, it wasn't sandy beaches, but pebbles. Spent some good afternoons there just chilling listening to the sound of the waves. The bottom left picture is the main Dover street, and next to it, a picture of a guy from Cyprus who serves the best Donner kebab ever, and comparatively cheap and affordable for students. GBP2 for a small Donner kebab and extra large was GBP3. The exchange rate at that time was about GBP1=MYR3, but if you don't convert, it's like having RM3 for a extra large helping of an out of this world Donner kebab! And you know how fussy I am with food! :) I think the secret was in the sauce, and since leaving Dover, I have not enjoyed a good Donner kebab like the one sold at the shop.

This is a picture of inside the Refectory, where we would gather to have our meals. I remember there was a "hot" section and a "cold" section of food where we lined up for our choice of food, before entering the main area to goggle them all up. Not as glam as the Harry Porter one, but has similarities.

And how could I finish this post without a final photo? :) This is me playing the piano during one of the various concerts. It was in a hall situated outside the school grounds. I don't remember what music I was playing in this photo though, but my goodness, it has certainly been a while!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good grief!! I cannot get over the spectacles lah... so.. soo.. uhm... retro? Haha!

It's good to have a place to remember by fondly.. a place where you get your education to prep yourself to the working world.. as for me, my college was in a building on a busy street. The only thing I could remember was, I need to go college early in the morning to book a place to study from morning till night to cramp 4 months of work into a determining 3 hour professional exams. Sigh.

Sharon Cecilia said...

hahahahha...ya lorr... the glasses...

Gosh... how old were you?

Alex said...

hey gina, the glasses at that time was very trendy ok!! :P

hi sharon, me ah? late teens I think! :)

ml said...

the glasses ah, think can be modified a bit to become goggles already. hahaha :D