Monday, April 28, 2008

To manage Handel

Classical music, often thought of as "stuffy" and outdated is actually very nice. To be honest, am not a fan of certain classical music, but when a piece of work is so magnificent, to hear it being performed is just so superb. I particularly like certain piano pieces and certain vocal music. However, it wasn't always the case, especially when I was constantly struggling with my exam pieces year after year, and being a rebel, prefered to play those soothing melodies which were not so classical in nature.

When I first studied music, the repertoir was very limited, but the musical journey took a dramatic turn when I went to college. And when I first heard a full orchestra in Canterbury, Kent, it was just amazing. It opened my eyes to another side of music which I have never been exposed to. I will always remember Sibelius' Finlandia, and being totally captivated by the percussion instruments, in particular the kettle drums or tympani. And yep, at a later stage, I did get to play the instrument in the college orchestra, and remember having to tune the old kettle drums manually!

Of course, not all classical music is my cup of tea. I have fallen asleep in numerous concerts before when I got bored with certain unfamiliar music. Embarrassing, yes I do admit, but I guess I am just a tad picky over music.

I like musicals though, but my vocal teacher refuses to teach me, saying that I can learn those on my own. In my vocal class now, my teacher is trying to push me harder and make me attempt more difficult works. Latest one, is of course, Handel's Messiah, and in particular, "Comfort Ye, and Every Valley". I think I can manage Comfort Ye, but Every Valley is very difficult with the numerous leaps in notes and the constant running notes. And the breathing only at appropriate places! As I said, difficult. Can't cheat and go to my class without doing homework, because the piece of music is complicated. My teacher told me last weekend that he wanted me to learn it well enough to perform it in a concert, and I told him "Are you mad?, I am not ready!!".

But one thing I am grateful for now is YouTube. I can search, listen and study the various interpretation, techniques and styles of the vocalists. This is one which I think is very good:



To be able to sing like this is so amazing. And hopefully, even with my slow pace of learning (I seldom do homework), I am hoping one day, I would be able to do this piece with equal aplomb. However, ... a very long way to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol! I cannot imagine you singing that, "Ohhh... ahhhhhhh... ahhhhhhh.. Ahhh... "

Hahhaha!! I suggest you stick to playing the piano on classicals lah.. not sing it. Hahaha!