Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Sorry

My family was watching a Hokkien TV series earlier on, and I had to read the subtitles to understand. It was kind of funny, cos' none of us were Hokkien, but I think my brother-in-law [BIL] is Teochew/Hokkien. My parents could understand Hokkien well enough, but there are I guess subtle differences between the Penang Hokkien and the southern Hokkien. What's more, the TV series spoke Taiwanese Hokkien. Quite different actually, and I could barely make out any words which the actors/actresses said.

Mum: How do you say "Sorry" in Hokkien? [asking my BIL]

And my BIL had to pause a while to think. I smiled and glanced at my younger sister, and she also smiled, and I blurted out:

Me: No "Sorry" in Hokkien, because Hokkien people never say "Sorry". True ah?

Now if you asked me how to say "Sorry" in Hakka, I also don't know, but my Dad gave a few words in Hakka for "Sorry", which for the life of me, I can't remember. Sounded so unfamiliar. What to do? Yellow outside, white inside... :P

So? How DO you say "sorry" in Hokkien?

2 comments:

laymank said...

southern hokian?

sorry:

soli! (muahahaha) thanks much for being Malaysianized.

Taiwanese:

paiseh
sit leh
dui pu kee

and many other ways of saying the same meaning but different choice of words.

The 6pm 'Tian Ha Dei It Be' show? It's a long long long running drama, but quite touching it seemed.

If I ever get home early, I will catch it, too.

Anonymous said...

We don't really say sorry - we usually say, "pai seh" or "boh hor yee sue".

Most Taiwanese would say Dui Pu Kee (direct adaptation from Mandarin).