Friday, April 04, 2008

Spring Festival

As I was driving one day, I received an sms inviting me to attend the opening night of KLPac's Sinfonietta's concert entitled, "Spring Festival". When one thinks about spring, one would think about flowers, regrowth, the end of the cold winter, or even in my case, especially when it pertains to music, Vivaldi's Four Seasons. So, I guessed it was something along this line, but after looking it up before the actual concert date, found that the music will have chinese characteristics, but played on western orchestra instruments.

Generally, I avoid attending concerts which I was not familiar with the music unless the concert came highly recommended or it is for a piece of music which I know or have heard. Anyway, was also there to support the daughter of someone I know playing in the strings section.

It has been a long time ago since I attended such a concert at the MPO, and in this case, it brought back some joy to see the various instruments and to see mostly young faces handling the various musical instruments.

Watching them perform brought back fond memories when I was also involved as a percussionist (as a tympanist or kettle drummist) in my college's orchestra so many years back. To hear the "A" from the Oboe, and sections by sections tuning to get the common pitch brought a little smile to my face. And to observe in the programme that there would at least be five, yes FIVE, piano soloists, gave me a sense of anticipation.

PROGRAMME
The Spring Festival Suite 春节组曲
Swelling River, Swirling Sand 大河涨水沙浪沙
Shepherd Song 牧歌
Celebrating the Bountiful Harvest Year 庆丰年
Ga E Li Tai 嘎俄丽泰
Nostalgia 思乡曲
Ma Yi La 玛依拉
Senjidema 森吉德玛
Night Celebration 晚会
Dance of the Yao Tribe 瑶族舞曲
Tidings from Beijing to the Frontier 北京喜讯到边塞

My take? I would say I enjoyed myself with the concert. It is never easy performing in such a big group. There were good moments, there were "so so" moments, but there were two pieces of music which totally caught my attention. Overall, it was reasonably entertaining, with one or two outstanding performances. Some of the things which caught my attention during the concert:

1) Too many players in the strings section. Yes, definitely get a richer sound, but at times overshadowed the poor woodwind players. As a consequence, the subtle interplay of music between the sections was at times overpowered by the strings. Not that I am biased against the strings of course. When they were together in rhythm and in pitch, it was a definite joy.
2) Either the second strings or violas were flat. I guess it was the playing, and not so much the tuning, as it happened on occassion but not throughout the performances.
3) In terms of music arrangements, I wasn't sure if these were original compositions, or adaptations. Some ended too abruptly for my taste, but of course, the typical "rah-rah" or rousing endings would bring about greater applause from the audience. Sometimes, I wonder if that is audience discernment or excitement driven by the sheer energy of the performance.
4) Pianists were very adept (Wong Shuenda, Chai Tse Wei, Joyce Ho, Mah Boon Lee and Lee Aik Hooi). Sometimes I wish I could still play like that. Certainly a long time ago when I had my "moment" playing Mozart's Concerto in A major (1st movement) in front of a large audience. Those were the days...
5) I particularly liked two of the pianists' performance, both females, but I didn't know their names. One of the females went on second, played with such grace and feel, wonderfully supported by the background chinese painting slides that it was simply magical. I think her performance was the one I enjoyed the most that evening. The second pianist (I reckon went on fourth - I forget), played with such poignancy, and the music literally came alive. The tone was sombre and overall touch was very well done. The only drawback was the background powerpoint slides which I think somehow didn't fit the music. I had to close my eyes to be not distracted, and just let the music flow. But very well done indeed.
6) The other pianists were good in their own way and showcased different techniques or styles.
7) Orchestra sections were not always together, i.e. in terms of entry and time. But on the whole, a job well done.
8) Brass sections generally ok, but I guess more on individual instrumentalist's technique especially on entry of note (for the trumpets). Sometimes not clean, but I guess will develop over time.
9) Nice off-beat triangle moment in one of the compositions. Gave it that extra zest in musicality. Have always liked percussion instruments, but sometimes I think the drums needed a little more energy in terms of playing. However, in most cases, the drumming was pretty intense.

All in all, it is always good to see local talents, and kudos to the conductor, Brian Tan for holding the orchestra together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

when it comes to music, i am so lost.
is that what they called, 'tone-deft'?

Anonymous said...

You not only do that to food eh? You also do that "not-fussy-just-particular" to music too. Lol!

aikhooi said...

Hi. Came across your blog while googling. Would like to thank you for your support for KLPac Sinfonietta. It's a community orchestra supported by musicians of all age. Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated. There will be more concerts coming up this year. Do drop by :)