Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A Season of Love

Tis’ the season to be merry, spreading good cheer and joy. Even as you go around the malls, you would see a whole range of decorations filling the place; santas, reindeers, christmas trees, festive lights, and even caroling sessions have been going on for a while already. It’s easy to be absorbed by all the festive feel. Retail outlets are doing brisk business, offering promotions for the season, enticing one and all to shop for that special gift.

Yes, I have started my caroling sessions right at the beginning of December, and timely with the onset of Advent. It is interesting to note that to be really pedantic, some carols are not appropriate given the advent season, and neither are some of the more popularised carols. Yet, the appeal for such “catchy” tunes setting the feel good factor cannot be dismissed outright (to me anyway). If it lifts the spirit (sung well of course) and brings some cheer, then the intention to spread love is achieved no matter how superficial or how deep the feeling may go.

I cannot deny that I do certain caroling sessions for the extra pocket money, but at the root of it, the spreading of cheer and merriment, and of course, love is embedded in the thoughts as well. I have done a few none paying caroling sessions, especially to some of the old folks home. Every year, it makes me think what I have done during the year to spread the love and cheer, or is it only during Christmas season that I try to do so.

This brings back memories of college days, when the school devotes Tuesday afternoons every week to community service. Each student has a choice of various tasks to do to “give back” to the community. At that point in time, I enjoyed the various tasks I chose to do, but the real significance was lost to me. Only now, that I look back at that period of my life, it makes me question whether I am loving or caring enough, or have taken a laid back attitude.



Was putting up the christmas tree the other day, and looking at the various ornaments, it sorts of reminds oneself of what christmas means to each one of us. Typically, we see either an ornamental angel or a star above the christmas tree, but this year, I put a cross right at the pinnacle. Why? The celebration of christ’s birth is of course a joyous occasion, but it is his LOVE that he brings into the world by dying on the cross, and I thought it is a very apt reminder for the occasion, and as the “Bethlehem Judah” carol goes:

Bethlehem Judah, Long, long ago.
The star guided onwards, Angels cried,
“Behold! A Babe has been born there, Hear the virgin’s song:
‘Tis Jesus our saviour, Promised so long’.”

Angels were gathered, Shepherds all shared,
With Mary his mother, Jesus lying there.
Some kings came with treasure, All had come with love
For Him in the manger, Lord from above.

What can I give Him, Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb.
If I were a wise man I would do my part;
Yet what can I give him? Give him my heart.


I see christmas as a time of giving, and the spreading of cheer. Believers and non believers alike can do their part to partake in the joy of the season. What it translates to me, is love. The love for ourselves, and the love for our neighbours. The joy is in the giving – I gave out some “goodie bags” earlier on, and got comments like “oh, I don’t have anything to give you”. And no, I do not expect anything back for my gift. It is in the giving and to see a smile on a person’s face, that is itself, a reciprocative gift on its own.

Have you spread enough Christmas cheer and love?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, do I get the chance to say - Oh, sorry. I have nothing to give you in return.

Haha! Merry Christmas!