Saturday, April 01, 2006

Been a while

Hmm, been a while since I last updated my blog. Where do I start? What have I been doing? Well, events have been centered around FOOD as usual. Had Japanese Buffet Lunch a few weekends back in PJ Hilton. Saw this huge raw squid which have not been cut up yet for consumption. Massive!

Sunsets continue to catch my attention. Had this picture taken sometime back. The other day, I had just finished cooking dinner (my chicken wing dish!) and was about to sit down to eat, and I looked out the balcony, and the building next door was orangy red. Kind of took me by surprise, and I went out to look see look see, and noticed that the sky was orange with dark clouds slowly moving towards my area. The whole place was bathed in bright orangy red colour and when I looked towards PJ, the scenery was breathtaking. Tried taking a pic or two, but the pictures didn’t do enough justice.

Am now back in Sarawak for a short break. Took a cab to the new Low Cost Carrier (LCC) Terminal, but had checked out roughly where it was about from an online map. The journey from the main KLIA terminal to the LCC terminal took about 15 to 20 minutes, although the terminals were situated next to each other, as there was no direct linkage. Instead, had to make one big round to get there. Was kind of surprised with the terminal, quite ok, there were so many people, and they even had a Coffee Bean outlet there. However, the outlet was still new, and didn’t take credit card, and also didn’t have the stamp thingy for every drink purchased. Bummer. One thing I noticed was that in the departure lounge, there was a lack of chairs. Many had to stand around waiting for the flight. The flight was about 20 minutes delayed before we began boarding, and finally took off after a 45 minutes period from original departure time. Not too bad timing, but I think the pilot tried to make back time, and flew supper fast with a flight time of one and a half hours. The ascent was quite turbulent, especially with so many dark clouds, but at least it got better after that. Arrived in Kuching airport, and my my, it does look quite different! Very nice! Didn’t have any checked in luggage, so zipped out pretty fast after touchdown and immigration clearance.

Went to Kuching for dinner on the 31March at this Li Garden restaurant. But before that, popped by my uncle’s place for some longan. We stood around plucking straight from the trees and had certainly had quite a bit to munch on. It was like those tour thingies we read about, where you pay a certain amount of money to go pluck and eat as much of the fruit as you can. However, in this case, it was all free! He even “ta-paued” a large basket full of longan for us to bring home. On to dinner, we had peking duck, roast piglet, spare ribs, steamed fish, two different types of veggie, and a few other dishes. Very filling! The peking duck was “skinned” right in front of our eyes by the chef (hardly see this done anymore in other places), and tasted quite good. Well, I like it because of the sweet sauce. Reminded me of my chicken wrap dish!

My short break continued. Tried to catch up on my movie watching, and saw two DVDs today, “Walk The Line” and “Jarhead”. Quite okay for both shows, very different though. Have at least two more movies to watch, but haven’t had the motivation to watch them yet. Went around the garden this afternoon, and noticed that there were quite a variety of flowers that my mum planted. And this is where I must admit, like fishes, I don’t know my flowers. I can tell the difference between roses, orchids and other more common ones, but these ones which we have in the garden, I have no clue to the names, except, the yellow one, the orange one, the red one, etc…. My ignorance continues with trees! I can tell the difference between a coconut tree, a palm tree, a banana tree, a papaya tree, but that’s about it. Show me a longan, rambutan, mango or whatever other tree, and I won’t know (unless I see the fruits on the tree of course). Have you ever seen a lime tree? I sometimes drink lime juice when I go makan, and just realized that we have a lime tree in the garden!

Had dinner tonight 1Apr at this coffee shop in Tebakang. I think it’s about 10 km or so from my hometown. The main street is just a row of shop, and it has been like this since I can remember. The last time I came here, was when I was still in secondary school in Serian, and I went for a jungle camp in SMK Tebakang under the Red Crescent programme. The food was quite ok, but the prawns! Ma ma mia! HUGE!, and cooked just how I liked it (tomato style). Not quite sweet and sour though, but tasty all the same. My dad said the prawns are called “big head prawns” (translated directly from chinese). Definitely one of the biggest prawns I have eaten, and I had two! Burpppppp!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow big feast again back in hometown. :) Bet you're going on diet next whole week! The flowers looks very good & tempting. Did yr mom plant starting from seeds? Am tempted with it.

Anonymous said...

Hey lsg, not quite diet, but eat less I suppose. Not sure whether my mum planted them from seeds or not, probably, I guess. You going to try? Good luck! Not easy to maintain...

Anonymous said...

so when you are going to treat me to all these yummy mum mum? Actually I am intereting in the orchard... since I can pick, eat and tapau for free....can make longan cake, longan vodka smoothie, longan agar-agar, or just plain - longan....

Anonymous said...

hey anonymous,
not quite an orchard, more like a big garden!
I tried longan cake once, ok only, but goes well with coffee... not decaf though :P
longan agar-agar I also like! one day'lah..... wait for the moon to be blue! :)

Anonymous said...

i gonna to get "walk the line"soon, as the story is telling my fav singer of all time : Johnny Cash ( I listened to his song since I was 12, at that time dun know much what he is singing, as times go by, I collected more and more of his albums, and still searching for older one)..I like his early years and mid-year..towards to his late years are more on worship the God, singing for the prisoner, justise, etc...that is why he is the "Man In Black".

wow, u have a big garden...wish i have one too, to plant fruit trees, flowers, bug pond for fish...I like the wild orchids that found in East Malaysia very much...but need license to plant it here...:(

song like "Ring of Fire","a thing called Love", "i still missed some1",etc..

OPJ

Anonymous said...

OPJ I like the movie.. thought the love story is so rare... married for 35 years and "courting" for 12. What a Cash man....

Big garden? Ok lah... as long as I get to pick the fruits and eat it knowing that is organic (uhmm?! - your uncle's right?!)

Anonymous said...

Hey OPJ, I thought the movie was ok only. Prefered "Ray", even to the songs. But there is a parallel in their life, except for Cash's devotion to June Carter. Haven't heard much of Johnny Cash's songs to be honest, so can't compare much. But it's remarkable in the movie that both the actor and actress sang the songs themselves.

Hey Anonymous, the garden at home has one lime tree, one longan tree, two rambutan trees, one durian tree (but to date, has not borned any fruit), one mango tree (I think), 3 or 4 palm trees. More trees = cooling effect, so not as hot. And fruits to eat of course..yum, yum!

Anonymous said...

I do have "Ray" in my drawer, but no time to watch yet...
Ray Charles is my another fav singer.

I play his music while driving ....

wanna listen to Cash's song ?? can send u via email....Yahoo mail better , if u want....

Anonymous said...

Hey OPJ,
sure. perhaps just one or two songs first... to "test water"..... :)
will send you my email account separately.... thanks.