Friday, February 29, 2008

Speed Test

Got this from Laymank to test my typing speed.








So, I managed 67 words in one minute. I suppose I can type a little bit faster but errors may creep in. Can do'lah! :)

Taken from wikipedia for average typing speed:

Alphanumeric entry
In one study of average computer users, the average rate for transcription was 33 words per minute, and only 19 words per minute for composition.
In the same study, when the group was dividing into "fast", "moderate" and "slow" groups, the average speeds were 40 wpm, 35 wpm, and 23 wpm respectively. Two-finger typists, sometimes also referred to as "Hunt-and-Peck" typists, can reach speeds of about 37 wpm for memorized text, and 27 wpm when copying text.

An average typist reaches 50 to 70 wpm, while some positions can require 80 to 95 (usually the minimum required for dispatch positions and other typing jobs), and some advanced typists work at speeds above 120.

A less common form of finding the speed of a typist, the acronym CPM is used to identify the number of characters typed per minute. This measurement is not a common measurement of speed considering the difference between typing in different languages. This is a common measurement for typing programs, or typing tutors, as it can give a more accurate measure of a person's typing speed without having to type for a prolonged period of time. Also used occasionally for associating the speed of a reader with the amount they have read.


What's your speed? Take the typing speed test here.

1 comment:

Elaine Gaye said...

I couldn't post the code. 98 wpm / 524 characters per minute. I had 98 correct words & 2 wrong words. I'm out of practice ;) My parents & I were in Hull at the weekend. I drove the Humber Bridge both ways. Beautiful weather, quite windy, but very bright and sunny, most unlike normal March in the UK!