Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Of one tie and another

Wore a new tie to work today, a plain purple-grey tie. My colleagues said it matched my shirt very well. And some even asked if I was wearing a new shirt, but no, only the second time I have worn this shirt. I guess it is out of my norm as I typically wear plain coloured shirts, but non white (fattening).

Today, I wore a white shirt, with subtle stripes of purplish red, light blue, and navy blue. So, I guess it was striking enough, and very corporate at that. Another colleague said I look more mature and have the "don't mess with me" kind of look when I wear this shirt. Well, could also be because of my usual "black face" look, but then again, was in a better mood today at work compared to yesterday.

What's the point of what I want to say? Well, the tie I wore today came with a story. Was shopping for a few new work shirts one day (to change my wardrobe during the christmas sale period) and decided to get some plain coloured ties to go with the new shirts I just purchased at the same time. As I was browsing through the selections, I couldn't decide between two colours, either a purple tie or a purple grey tie. As I stood there for a good five minutes internally having a heated debate as to which tie goes better with my new shirt, a sweet young thing walked past me, pointed at the purple grey tie, beamed me her sweetest smile, and said "this one"! HA! So, there you go. That's the story of my purple grey tie. Incidentally, I didn't manage to get her phone number...

But seriously though, why use a neck tie at all (besides looking all smart and proper). As I commented on the Chinese's preoccupation with signs and symbols, it is like putting a noose around one's neck every day. Shishh... But then again, the influence of western culture (or should I say, the subjugation of the eastern culture by the west) does play a big part. You don't see everyday, regular office folks attired in cheongsams and other oriental motifs now, do you. Incidentally, what's the male equivalent of cheongsam? Cheongnam?

Then again, I have over 30 neck ties (one or two dating back to pre historic days) of various designs (almost one for every work shirt neatly ironed, lined up, and ready to wear in my wardrobe). And no, I don't iron my own shirts... :)

8 comments:

ml said...

30 over neck ties?! i hope u don't misuse them for 'other purpose' if u ever 'see not open' 1 day. hahahaha :D

Anonymous said...

Wah.. so many ties.. I don't know why but I kept having this mental picture of Sharon Stone tying up Michael Douglas in Basic Instincts...

Franco.. sit.. good boy.

yuin said...

anybody knows the history of neckties? have to look it up.

i thought franco can only stand, not sit?

Elaine Gaye said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changshan has the following info:

"The Mandarin word changshan is cognate with Cantonese chèuhngsàam, borrowed into English as 'cheongsam'. However, unlike the Mandarin term, chèuhngsàam in Cantonese can refer to both male and female garments. In Hong Kong, the word chèuhngsàam is frequently used for the modern female qipao, not the male changshan, and this is reflected in the usage of 'cheongsam' in English to refer to the female garment."

Your tie is great, very subtle, and I think it would go well with the shirt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necktie has interesting information about ties, which originated with Croatian solders in the 30 Years' War in the 17th Century. However, the article does not mention the old Freudian view that ties are phallic symbols ;)

laymank said...

yep! cheongsam is generally referred to as male chinese attire and keipou for the female.

so many ties? goodness!

Anonymous said...

hi ml, "see not open"? LOL! That's one way to put it! :P

hey gina, oooohhhh!!! Put "franco" to good use then! LOL!!!

hi yuin, franco can only stand? Don't know oh. For gina to answer. :)

hey elaine, interesting. Didn't know those facts. :)

Anonymous said...

hey laymank, I have always thought the cheongsam is refered to the female attire. Ahsooooo.... :)

Yeah, too many ties. Some of them out of fashion liao...

Anonymous said...

.....a sweet young thing walked past me, pointed at the purple grey tie, beamed me her sweetest smile, and said "this one"!.....

I been buying ties for the past 16 yrs, how come dun have a sweet treat like that....hmmm..

Zing must be a lucky guy