Thursday, October 11, 2007

To the beat of the drums

Having attended a Waidako concert a few years back, with a guest artist from Japan at the Malaysian Philharmonic Concert Hall, my eyes opened to the myriad thumpety thumps of a single drum, and how those drumbeats could dictate my feelings and even the beating of my own heart. It was certainly a very good experience.

So, once I chanced upon the Hands Percussion Team performing at one of the Chinese New Year functions at The Weld this year, I have tried to follow their concert schedule to give myself a more thorough experience.

However, I missed the previous concert a while back (because I didn’t manage to get tickets, yeah, I tried to buy at the last minute), I finally caught Hands Percussion’s concert last weekend at KLPac with some friends, and am glad I went (this time, I bought my tickets early, and they played to a full house!). It was not really what I expected though, but enjoyed it nonetheless. It was a combination of drums, dance, and even song. But of course, the focal point was on drums, be it the Chinese drums, the Indian drums, or even the Gamelan type of percussion instruments.

The first number was the typical Hands Percussion style combination. choreographed drumming movements between quite a number of drummers, which set a good beginning to the concert. I liked the sets, and the lighting. Very artsy. When the white cloth flowed down at the start of the second number, I went like “Wow!”. The effect was so beautiful. Then a solo unaccompanied soprano voice rang out in Chinese to a haunting tune, and although I couldn’t understand what was being sung, it was very expressive.

I suppose I could go on and on, but will limit it to just a few thoughts:

1. Very artsy, good choreo and use of stage.
2. Some dance routine were a tad on the draggy side, but maybe I don’t appreciate dance as much as I do music. But the energy of the dancers were brilliant to my non-critical eye.
3. Costumes and props used to good effect. Even to having a water pool with dancers splashing to the Indian music extravaganza. Before the start of this number, there were some light water droplets sprayed on audiences as a precursor to the entire number. Good effect.
4. Use of gamelan percussion instruments to showcase the various percussive sounds, portraying a message was a sight to behold. Am not sure of what was entire being portrayed, but my take on it was that in the frenzied movements of the drummers, there lies an inner peace and calm. So, when the repetitive xylophone tune was heard all on its own, it moved me somewhat. With the backdrop of the 3 drummers energetically drumming away “silently”, it was a definitely a very good effect.
5. The Malay number had a mini skit, and began with a wayang kulit like setting, welcoming and hoping that the audiences have so far enjoyed the programme. Energy was high, and it was a real joy to watch.
6. No score, no drums? So what do you do? You beat the drum sticks, you clap to differing rhythmic patterns, you stomp around, creating a body percussion number with high energy, AND even get the audience involved. Seen this, done that, but they were good!
7. The final number had 3 major stars showcasing different categories of drums, culminating in an explosive finale.
8. Alas, would have liked for them to do an encore, but they didn’t. Sigh.

9. I had two "goosebumps" session - one in the first number, and one in the final number, when the drummers came together and performed in a controlled frenzy.
10. During the entire show, only saw one drumstick fly in the air, but the performer carried on as though it didn't happen. Good recovery, but I guess performing in a group with choreo, the other drummers could help cover the minor mishap.
11. However, wished there were more full ensemble drumming sessions, as that was what I really came to see (MORE! MORE!).

Till their next concert…. :)

4 comments:

Elaine Gaye said...

Great post, Alex, thank you for sharing this :) In addition to your singing and piano playing, do you also keep up your percussion interests? I remember you being wonderful on the timpani :)

laymank said...

I agreed.

It would be great if more drums performances were lined up.

Oh, I saw a girl slipped and fell on stage during the No Score, No Drums. But she get up swift enough.

Alex said...

hey elaine, I still sing, but hardly play the piano nowadays. More for my own enjoyment, or accompanying myself when I screech. :P I also play the electronic organ in church to accompany the congregation when they sing. Focus seems to be on singing though, and have continued my vocal lessons. As for the percussion, hahaa, DRUMS! like these kind of shows, I do try to keep track of. But to play, not quite. No timpanis here to keep me busy... :) Actually, I still have one or two of our concert recordings, and once in a blue moon, will play and reminisce about the "good ol'days". :) Do you still play the flute and sing?

Hi laymank, I didn't see the girl slip though. But good recovery I guess. :)

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.