Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Of one sengkuang and another

Before coming to KL, I have never heard of the word "sengkuang", and subsequently saw various references of sengkuang made to turnips.

Now, in Sarawak, turnips to me is called "mengkuang", and I know it pretty well, as it is one of the major ingredients I would use to make rojak for myself (besides the deepfried tofu [or toupok] and lots of crushed peanuts!).

Last weekend, came across this canned drink, and was puzzled as to what type of drink is this which is referred to as "minuman sengkuang cina".

Me: Huh? Chinese Turnips Drink? Got like that one meh?

And when I turned the canned drink around, lo and behold it is something else entirely.
Water Chestnut? Really? Does that mean that Sengkuang is not the same as Mengkuang?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eh.. I thought water chestnut is "Mah Tai" in Cantonese? Whatever it is, they are my favorite - sengkuang or mengkuang when stir fried with sotong strips, carrots, fungi, dried shrimps and eat them with fresh salad leaves.