Wednesday, August 22, 2007

eat..ate.."Ated"?!

This month has been a series of eating sessions. Was back in Sarawak for my dad's birthday about 2 weeks' back, and have been feasting almost non stop! Can't complain though, there is so much good food around, and some at reasonable prices.

First day back, had crabs cooked in two different styles, steamed cod fish, roasted piglet (it was going for a promotional price!), some veggies, and of course, the obligatory sweet and sour pork! :P

Second day back, major party to celebrate my dad's birthday with family and close family friends. Estimated about 70 people (I lost count...), but this year, we catered for food instead of my mum having to whip up all the dishes. Actually, it was a compromise, my siblings and myself planned to eat out, but my mum wanted it to be a home affair. So, catered was the way to go, and there was so much food!

Since coming back to KL mid month, celebrated birthday lunches/dinners, colleague's resignation lunch, church friend's food gathering (yum! the "flaming" desserts!), and even work lunches. What has this done to my waist line? Well, been trying to moderate my intake a bit, but my pants do feel "a bit" tighter. Have a few more gatherings to go before month end (house warming, and more get togethers).

Even had "Kobe" beef, which cost RM130 per 100g! Blimey! Cooked over a hot stone, it was divine! Kobe beef refers to beef from the black Tajima-ushi breed of Wagyu cattle, raised according to strict tradition in Hyogo Prefecture, Japan. Wagyu ("Japanese Cattle") are renowned for flavour, tenderness, and fatty well-marbled texture, qualities enhanced by the traditional (and well guarded) methods of raising Kobe beef.

Had always thought that beef is just beef, but try this, and you will find out the difference. It's in the texture... soft, tender and yummy... After tasting Kobe beef, other beef somehow taste inferior. Hmm...

My siblings took me to "Ninja Jones", a Japanese food outlet near MidValley, with the servers dressed up as ninjas! When the cake was brought out, they sang a birthday song, and we were pleasantly surprised with the presentation. The ice-cream cake was placed over a large plate with "smoke" coming out from underneath. Nice touch!

Yeah, another year older! Incidentally, someone asked my age, and guessed me about five years younger! LOL!!! We deduced that it was probably due to my short haircut, besides my youthful look! :P

Anyway, a very big Thank You to my friends and family members for all the birthday wishes, pressies!, lunches/dinners, and gatherings! even before the actual day has arrived! :)

Now, how am I to lose a bit of weight for a fitter and trimmer me, before having to appear on stage this Sunday night in Klang for an acapella fest, and later early September in Singapore for another acapella fest! Help... :P

4 comments:

Elaine Gaye said...

*sings* Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Alex, Happy Birthday to you* I hope you have had a very good birthday. The Ninja Jones restaurant sounds great and the cake looks beautiful :) How are your sisters?

laymank said...

Nice Kobe beef!!

(salivating...)

Anonymous said...

Hey.. can see you are very popular. Haha. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Alex said...

Hi elaine, Am imagining your alto voice all the way across the various continents! My sisters are also doing fine. Thank you! :)

Hey laymank, yeah, the kobe beef was soft and tender... slurp!

hi gina, would say, "reasonably" popular! :P