Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ashes

Today marks the beginning of Lent, with what is called Ash Wednesday. A period of fasting and repentance, and a time of abstinance. The essence of which is captured via this hymn:








********************
Yes, I Shall Arise

Antiphon:
Yes, I shall arise and return to my Father!

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
In you, O my God, I place all my trust.

Look down on me, have mercy O Lord;
Forgive me my sins, behold all my grief.

My heart and soul shall yearn for your face;
Be gracious to me and answer my plea.

Do not withhold your goodness from me;
O Lord, may your love be deep in my soul.

To you I pray; have pity on me;
My God, I have sinned against your great love.

Mercy I cry, O Lord, wash me clean;
And whiter than snow my spirit shall be.

Give me again the joy of your help;
Now open my lips, your praise I will sing.

Happy is he, forgiven by God;
His sins blotted out, his guilt is no more.

********************

But sometimes it is hard... hard to repent, hard to do good. What is a white lie? still a lie, and many more...

One step at a time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonder who's forehead is that :D eh..cross been rub off...

laymank said...

everything starts with a will...
it's hard, because your will is against what you think you should do, maybe?