Saturday, May 10, 2008

Of things to hoard and what nots

I noticed that I tend to keep things. Things like plastic bags, empty bottles, unused envelopes for recyling, hotel shampoos and bath gels, soap bars, etc. Unsure whether it is the "chinese" in me to tend to want to keep things for future use, but seriously, now that I am rearranging furniture and stuffs at home, I have gotten rid of quite a lot of other stuffs. Definitely need to declutter a bit.

Yes, admittedly, I still have those hotel shampoos and what nots sitting in my cupboard, but I think my penchant for keeping stuffs stem from my childhood craze for collecting stuffs.

When I was younger, I guess I was kind of spoilt. I collected stamps, stickers, marbles, bookmarks, postcards, keychains, foreign coins, shoe laces, books, toy cars, toy soldiers, toy cowboys and indians, legos, and literally, the works! As a matter of fact, I still have some of these collection back in my hometown.

Now? I have progressed a little bit further. Have three main collections which I focus on.

I kind of stopped collecting stamps, but have gone on to First Day Covers. Easier to maintain, and have quite a few to be considered a "collection". The ones in this picture are not mine though, but have progressed to collecting First Day Covers from various countries (at least seven countries now). To be honest, quite an expensive hobby, and I sometimes wonder why I continue. But I guess the joy of admiring the covers and perhaps someday, may look to display it in one form or another. Have never considered it from the point of view as potential appreciation in value, but you never know, eh?

My next biggest collection I guess would be postcards. I have a huge pile back in my hometown, and as I was tidying up my place recently, the ones here with me in the city have been steadily increasing in number. Again, I wonder what I will do with them in the future. How on earth am I going to display them or perhaps just leave them in boxes somewhere in the cupboard. Maybe one of these days, when I am utterly bored with nothing to do (which is seldom by the way), will take them out and view them one by one.

And by default, since I enjoy reading, I also seem to be collecting books. Be it science fiction books or comics. Again, not a cheap hobby but my only consolation is that these are tax deductible! However, none of my books are the intellectual type ones though, as I guess it reflects my character. Am not one to think of serious stuff outside the office and prefer to chill with non market, non intellectual stuffs during my time away from work.

Of course, the usual hoarding of plastic bags to be reused for refuse collection, empty bottles, and other what nots is perpetually on going, but am trying to limit these somewhat. Not to forget, my home seem to be collecting a lot of dust. Now this is something which I definitely don't want to collect, but don't know why, I see dust everywhere, even though I have invested in an ever handy feather duster to brush the ever present microscopic materials as best as I can. Some say dust is just dead skin. Ewww! Am I shedding? Metamorphing into something else? Shish, been reading too many fantasy books...

Then again, sometimes when I am feeling a bit morbid, I realise that these are temporary pleasures. I can't take them with me, but maybe it will do some good for others in the future (like if I ever decide to part with my collections either by giving them away or selling them).

So, do you think it is in the genetic makeup of being Chinese or is this a cultural phenomenon to keep things for future use. What do you reckon?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are shedding skins? Are you a snake? Lol!!

You sound like my mother, the hoarder. Lol. Anyway, I did have some collection at home as well - books, movie tabs, post cards, fridge magnets, wood carvings, etc. Now I stop collecting altogether since I don't have my own place to display.

ml said...

hahaha.. i tend to collect these things as well: plastic bags, empty bottles, unused envelopes for recyling, hotel shampoos and bath gels, soap bars, etc...plus some other small items too.

dust is physically everywhere. u don't really collect it but it accumulates by itself.

laymank said...

I am good at collecting dust. Seriously easy!

Just leave it untouched, it will be there by itself, free of charge some more! :p

I read an article that mentioned the same about dust. That, most of the dust in the house is a result of our dried skin. As for how true that is, I am not sure.